MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can i swap the alternator and its bracket from a gen4/3 3sgte engine onto and gen 2 mr2 engine???
and the power steering pump also.. help!!!!
:unsure:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Curious to why you would want to do that.
The MR2 has the power steering pump in the front of the car on a completely separate system and the alternator sits in an annoying position compared the where the MR2 one sits. Plus wiring it up would just get annoying too. The GEN4 alternator wiring is on the body harness of the Caldina where the wiring in an MR2 is in the engine harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious to why you would want to do that.
The MR2 has the power steering pump in the front of the car on a completely separate system and the alternator sits in an annoying position compared the where the MR2 one sits. Plus wiring it up would just get annoying too. The GEN4 alternator wiring is on the body harness of the Caldina where the wiring in an MR2 is in the engine harness.
so basically i have a gen 2 engine which is going into my corolla ae92. as for the alternator its a quick way to boost the amp to approx 120A as compared to 80-100A stock.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
so basically i have a gen 2 engine which is going into my corolla ae92. as for the alternator its a quick way to boost the amp to approx 120A as compared to 80-100A stock.
Oh right. Makes a bit more sense. I guess either way you have a bit or wiring to sort out of you are taking wiring from the MR2. I think you can get 120amp alternators for the MR2.
thnx for the reply but why need the pulley??
MR2 pulley is unique to the MR2 AC pulley and alternator pulley positions. You'd need to run a GEN4 crank pulley to line the belt up with the alternator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh right. Makes a bit more sense. I guess either way you have a bit or wiring to sort out of you are taking wiring from the MR2. I think you can get 120amp alternators for the MR2.

MR2 pulley is unique to the MR2 AC pulley and alternator pulley positions. You'd need to run a GEN4 crank pulley to line the belt up with the alternator.
oh ok. seems fair enough, so lets say i go with st205 gt4 alternator(+brackets) and p.s pump, so i would need to use gt4 pulley also ?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
oh ok. seems fair enough, so lets say i go with st205 gt4 alternator(+brackets) and p.s pump, so i would need to use gt4 pulley also ?
Yes. That would be the case too. That's probably a lot easier to find though as it may just be a normal Celica pulley.

Yes, a bit more common than the MR2 pulley. ToyoDIY.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts