MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make the story short my beloved 2nd Gen 3sgte has taken a fall. I have a Gen 3 3sgte but I got no harness or sensors.

Is it possible for me to swap all my sensors and AFM and ecu/harness and get it to work fine?

I have 550cc and td06 with ats Rom tune that I kinda wanted to keep and not spend money doing Gen 3 electronics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gen 3 wiring is different and ecu is huge difference, you have to remember gen 2 is USA and Japan, gen 3 was never released in the untied states, also gen 3 has some different parts that the gen 2 doesn’t have, I am not 100% sure if you get an aftermarket ecu and a good tuner if you can make it work, if I was you I would just buy the ecu and wiring harness and build off that

·
Registered
56 Posts
My buddy did all the wiring for my gen 3 and what I remember he told a lot of the wires are different and you have to tie into the USA models what he told me, but I have no complaints, my gen 3 ecu did take a crap after it came out of the body shop I honestly think painters got it wet ot
Something for me to pull out the parking lot and had no power, but I love the gen 3 93 octane, 18 psi with no tuning

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
6,748 Posts
I would consider selling everything in order to fund a gen4 or 5 swap. The rom tune is cool and all but the afm is what really holds that ecu back, if it were speed density like the later engines I'd entertain the idea.

Also the td06 20g is out of style as well, I had one on my gen2 and dont miss anything about the gen2 or the greddy 20g kit.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would consider selling everything in order to fund a gen4 or 5 swap. The rom tune is cool and all but the afm is what really holds that ecu back, if it were speed density like the later engines I'd entertain the idea.

Also the td06 20g is out of style as well, I had one on my gen2 and dont miss anything about the gen2 or the greddy 20g kit.
to be honest im not looking for anything more per say. I'm happy with the car as it is but I do need a new motor. I do like that the rom tune has a race gas tune on it.

Does anyone know though if the gen 3 would work with the gen 2 electronics?

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
6,748 Posts
Many people including myself have put the gen3 ecu on a gen2, there's really no reason to go the other way around other than your situation. You could try it and tell us how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts