MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a bad oil leak coming from oil return line where it’s bolted to the turbo with 12mm nuts.
I hope it’s just the gasket that’s the cause. Does the turbo has to come out to replace the gasket? Also, should I replace the oem line with after market one?

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Easy enough to get off from the underside without pulling turbo. Depending on it you still have CAT and stock turbo support bracket it may take some work to free up space.
Most likely it is the gasket as the return line is not under any pressure. Could be a cracked hose due to heat absorbion. OEM is probably best although I understand the part has been discontinued.

jim

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CAT is still there. I was in the process of redoing oil pan sealant when I spotted the oil return line leaking. So, I removed the E153 support bracket and able to reach the 2 bolts 12mm from below. Do I remove the 2 bolts holding the lines attached to the block?
Part number for the gasket?

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
130 Posts
CAT is still there. I was in the process of redoing oil pan sealant when I spotted the oil return line leaking. So, I removed the E153 support bracket and able to reach the 2 bolts 12mm from below. Do I remove the 2 bolts holding the lines attached to the block?
Part number for the gasket?
I'm in the same boat but I'm not having any luck getting the feed/return off even with a Aussie downpipe. I wish someone would explain how this is done because, otherwise, I'm going to have to pull the turbo in my work parking lot (I'm an engineer so this is probably greatly frowned upon).
Looks like the gasket P/N is 15471 but you'll need to have that translated into their newer part number scheme. I'll try to dig up where I got mine from last year. You'll probably want to do the water gasket while you're in there (I am, at least)
EDIT: Gen2 3SGTE Turbocharger Gasket Kit | Twos R Us

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the gasket on Prime MR2 site. It’s on the way to my house.
man, looks like the turbo gonna have to come out. I’ll update here if I can somehow do it on the car. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
130 Posts
I found the gasket on Prime MR2 site. It’s on the way to my house.
man, looks like the turbo gonna have to come out. I’ll update here if I can somehow do it on the car. Wish me luck.
Definitely, man. Good luck and please take pics if you find a trick to make this work.
Too bad we're not local to each other. I have a feeling this would be much easier with four hands.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the issue is with the hardline oil supply line that is an integral part of the return plate. The return line connects to a rubber hose which feeds back into sump at low pressure. This is much easy to negotiate than dealing with whole assembly. Do you know where oil is leaking as changing gasket is more involved than I thought with turbo in place?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
I don't know how much the stock cat / downpipe will complicate things, but I know that with an aftermarket downpipe it's not too hard to remove that line with the turbo in place.

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
130 Posts
I don't know how much the stock cat / downpipe will complicate things, but I know that with an aftermarket downpipe it's not too hard to remove that line with the turbo in place.
The problem I am having is that the hard oil feed line and return limit my ability to reach the banjo in the block (Anyone remember off-hand what size the through bolt head is? I'll need to grab that wrench and socket from my garage if I'm to try and attempt this again on my own at work). I even had it on the lift and a comprehensive set of tools and only managed to make the leak much worse. I guess I'll start tearing it all down this weekend. ATS is probably going to be selling me a CT21 Blackjack and an upgraded wastegate actuator since I'll be going through all the trouble to remove the CT20b I have in there now. They are only 20 miles or so from where I and the car currently sit.
Thankfully, I have my Lexus LS to drive in the meantime but damn does it feel slow. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Ahh, yeah that banjo bolt is a pain. I don't remember the size for certain, maybe 15/16 fits though? Might be bigger than that. Either way, if you have a socket that fits it and an extension I think you can just pass the extension down from the top past the water lines and loosen it that way. I could be mis-remembering, maybe the water lines need to be removed? But I know that banjo can be loosened with the turbo in place. It's a pain in the ass, no doubt about that, but possible.

Reactions: Negative
1 - 12 of 12 Posts