MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gen 4 going into my car in a couple of months. I also have an old gen 2 I bought from a guy because he was selling it for like 100 dollars and couldn't pass it up, I know that gen 4s have thinner rods and that gen 2 rods are pretty strong. So can you just throw gen 2 rods onto the gen 4s piston and crank? (I'm assuming not but it doesnt hurt to ask) any info helps thanks

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have a gen 4 going into my car in a couple of months. I also have an old gen 2 I bought from a guy because he was selling it for like 100 dollars and couldn't pass it up, I know that gen 4s have thinner rods and that gen 2 rods are pretty strong. So can you just throw gen 2 rods onto the gen 4s piston and crank? (I'm assuming not but it doesnt hurt to ask) any info helps thanks
Your assumptions are correct. The wrist pin in the GEN4 is too small so will not take previous GEN rods. Best thing for a GEN4 to make it a really strong engine is to put in forged rods and pistons, upgrade the ECU for bigger injectors and run a good turbo. But that's expensive and just bolting in a GEN4 gives good gains if the car was NA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your assumptions are correct. The wrist pin in the GEN4 is too small so will not take previous GEN rods. Best thing for a GEN4 to make it a really strong engine is to put in forged rods and pistons, upgrade the ECU for bigger injectors and run a good turbo. But that's expensive and just bolting in a GEN4 gives good gains if the car was NA.
Thanks for the help man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts