MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently trashed a Gen 2 3sgte. It's a bit of an emergency situation (need the car back up and running), and I have a friend that can supply me with a Gen 4 short block. It is complete except for the oil pan and head...

My gen 2 head works perfectly well, has ported intake/exhaust ports, gen 3 cams and a custom top mount turbo manifold, so I'd like to keep it. Shouldn't it bolt onto the Gen 4 block without complications? What about the HFH and HFHOE? Any advice to make life a little easier would be appreciated.

Also, while we're at it... is the oil pan for the Gen 4 the same as a Gen 3? Because I'll need one. And I feel like it'd be easier to find one that came off of a Gen 3, if they are the same.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There are many small differences that will add to the complication but yes it is possible. Gen3 and Gen4 upper oil pan sections are different BTW.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small complications are fine. Which timing belt do I use? Sorry for the dumb questions, this is territory I haven't really dabbled into before.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I believe you will need to change some timing components (head related) and it should use the Gen4 belt still. I'm not 100%.. Every time I build a Frankenstein 3S I have to figure out things as I go as well. It's not a daily practice and the small details slip my mind.

How much are you getting the gen4 shortblock for if you don't mind me asking? I may be able to set you up with a new 3SGTE shortblock for a fair price.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of the help!

I'm getting the gen 4 block for free, actually. A friend of mine has it in his garage with no use for it. I helped him out with a few things a little while ago, and now this issue came up and he told me about the block and said I could have it if I can use it. It is complete except for the head and oil pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts