MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Turbo with 77,000 miles which has always been in Arizona (no rust). Recently the gear selector shaft broke and now I only have first gear. The shop I have used for many years (and excellent at troubleshooting) cannot find another shaft either new or used. In addition, if they order a whole replacement transmission, it does not include this part. I love this car and do not want to scrap it for one part. Does anyone have a recommendation of how I could get a replacement part, get a part made (would probably be less than the $2,000 for a remanufactured transmission), or what could be substituted. I saw a thread that the MRS part can be substituted with a Corolla part. I am even willing to change to a different type of transmission (maybe six-speed) if it will work as a drop-in. Help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
I think he means the internal fork used to select gears and not the external levers. I know OEM forks are getting hard to come by now and can be prone to fail.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Interesting failure as not very common. I'm sure if you put the word out you will be able to pick up a second hand one from someone on this board.

Begs the question; why did it fail? Understandably its a weak point and it looks like a fractured fatigue stress failure so what went wrong.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this part 33261C in MR2OC Online Parts Catalog - SW20 MR2 Fiche Mirror ??

Assuming this, cross referencing that part with it's P/N leads to 33261-17040 (for MY's 90-92 which is discontinued) and 33261-17050 (for 93+ MY's which is still available for around <$60 from partznet). Before you go spending $2000 on a new transmission or junking the car, I might gamble the $60 on the newer part number and see what the differences are between the pre-93 selector and the 93+ one.

Good luck!

Luke

·
Registered
185 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this part 33261C in MR2OC Online Parts Catalog - SW20 MR2 Fiche Mirror ??

Assuming this, cross referencing that part with it's P/N leads to 33261-17040 (for MY's 90-92 which is discontinued) and 33261-17050 (for 93+ MY's which is still available for around <$60 from partznet). Before you go spending $2000 on a new transmission or junking the car, I might gamble the $60 on the newer part number and see what the differences are between the pre-93 selector and the 93+ one.

Good luck!

Luke
Yep good work. I concur. 33261-17050 superceded number looks good. Small change really.

Might want to look at 2 and 3 synchro's while your in there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here are the pictures the shop sent me.
I realize this is a 1 year old thread, but my 93T had this EXACT failure (same fracture in the same spot on the shaft) last month. The parts are now all discontinued from Toyota, so I'm on the hunt for a solution. Curious what you ended up doing to fix this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts