MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not mechanical. I've owned a 91 Turbo since it was virtually new. It is my daily driver. It has never seen salt. It is beautiful. It got stuck in 2nd gear yesterday. I got it to my local Toyota dealer and they tell me they can find neither a new gearbox nor the linkages (?) which are the cause of the problem, most likely. What are my alternatives? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Most likely it's not what your dealership has diagnosed, but one of the shifter cables. This is a very common issue on cars of this age. The cables are available used. Inquire with these two sources:

mr2enthusiast.com
mr2chopshop.com

For more sellers, post a WTB on the MR2OC facebook group.

Get your car towed out of the dealership asap and take it somewhere else. Anywhere will do. Pay any diagnostic fees that you owe and the towing fee. You will come out so far ahead in the end, it will not be funny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the cable supplier sources. Yes to cable(s), not linkage. I can drive the car--in 2nd. Problem is I wouldn't know where to take it. I'm in the Phoenix east valley area. How do I find someone able to handle this competently? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts