MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks for the review I just picked up a set and I'm loving everything about them, huge improvement over oem and the gladfab hid I was running I'll get some night pics

This is after I installed them

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Truck-Lite LED 5x7 Model: 27450C

Bought mine from drivetrainamerica.com

Had these LED headlights since Dec. 2014.

I used to have 3 MR2.

1 had a custom true H1 Projector HID set up.

2 had the LED headlights setups.

I sold 1 of the MR2 so now I only have 2.

I took off the HID projector set up and now both my MR2 run the LED because it is so good, simple, great quality housing product, and secure quality install with 1 plug and play wire. OEM quality/reliability in my opinion.

Some of the best money spent....

*I don't own the white MR2 anymore*

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
My company uses large round multi LED headlights in some of the military vehicles we build. From the side they don't appear to put out that much light. I made the mistake of walking in front of a vehicle at night on our test track and looked straight at the headlight. MISTAKE. I was seeing spots for several minutes afterward. We had been using regular incandescent headlights. Yes you read that right. Not even halogens. Talk about a difference going from old school incandescent lights to LEDs. Really was like night and day.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
FWIW: I like my HIDs but the mounting brackets that they come with are always coming loose.
I am probably going to have to fab up something better. Could be another water jet opportunity for someone on this board?

·
Registered
20 Posts
nbvolks: are you still running 80/100 bulbs? I'm new to the forums and am looking to do small upgrades and like the idea of having brighter lights

·
Registered
0 Posts
Have any one tried the Eagle lights e27450c? $199 for a pair on amazon

Looks like a cheaper alternative of Truck-lite?

not sure how it compares to the GE lighting though

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have any one tried the Eagle lights e27450c? $199 for a pair on amazon

Looks like a cheaper alternative of Truck-lite?

not sure how it compares to the GE lighting though
From the looks of it they're the exact same light. I'm willing to bet money that none of the companies that sell these lights actually produces them, they just have an agreement on branding with a manufacturer in China.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
From the looks of it they're the exact same light. I'm willing to bet money that none of the companies that sell these lights actually produces them, they just have an agreement on branding with a manufacturer in China.
Just a warning for people considering buying the clones of the trucklites. I thought the same thing, I found a pair on ebay for $110 from China, they even had a picture of a technical drawing of the headlight with "trucklite" on the lenses.

The headlights I received were unbranded and didn't work with Toyota's switched ground for low and high beam. The clones expect a single ground and switch 12v, this works either way for a halogen bulb but since LEDs are diodes polarity is important. The trucklites can handle either design which explains the extra expense.

I depinned the connector and made the clone headlights work on low beam but I wasn't impressed, the color is colder than the real trucklites as well. I found a good deal on a pair of real trucklites on ebay, after seeing the real thing I can definitely say that while the housings are the same the electronics are not.

One final note, if I try to run my fog lights while the headlights are no they stay on high beam, no matter if the stalk is in high beam, low beam, or flash mode. If I turn off the fog lights or pull the fog light relay the headlights resume normal operation. Has anyone else run into this issue? My car is a 91t.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Attention the GE ($274 a piece) still the best option?

I have sylvania on my 94 and would like more output

Are the nighthawk plug and play ?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I have the JW Speaker 8900s (Evolution 2), and they are impressive. They are NOT plug-n-play for the same reason as described in post #54 above. You need a pair of relays to get them to work right with the MR2 wiring scheme. They also need about 1/4" spacer to mount properly in the stock headlight buckets.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I have the JW Speaker 8900s (Evolution 2), and they are impressive. They are NOT plug-n-play for the same reason as described in post #54 above. You need a pair of relays to get them to work right with the MR2 wiring scheme. They also need about 1/4" spacer to mount properly in the stock headlight buckets.
thank you

If you were closer I would get them and ask for your help

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
So I installed GE nighthawk today. Got them on sale

Very nice and bright

However my eye lids are NOT sitting flush after I installed the lights

Could it be due to the GE rear plug wire being long?

Any ideas?

Also high beam doesnt seem to indicate on instruments cluster - not a huge deal

·
Registered
725 Posts
So I installed GE nighthawk today. Got them on sale

Very nice and bright

However my eye lids are NOT sitting flush after I installed the lights

Could it be due to the GE rear plug wire being long?

Any ideas?

Also high beam doesnt seem to indicate on instruments cluster - not a huge deal
Mine sit flush still, so I think that is a you problem. Remove them and double check they aren’t hitting anything in the housing.

As documented earlier in the thread, the high beam indicator in the cluster is based on resistance. The LED lights don’t create enough to pop the light.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts