MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I was younger and got my first job I wanted to buy a car that I could do some basic motorsport in so I went looking for some. It had to be Toyota and preferably RWD. 1980s KP Starlets and KE Corollas were something I was looking at but for the cost they were and the lack of performance I decided to go for an SW20 MR2.

This was back in 2008 when I bought my first car. My previous car was bought by my parents so I could get to University.

I have since been driving it, modifying it and fixing it every time it broke, which was a lot but even so it taught me so much and I'm glad for that. Now the car is in a state where I can just get in and drive it without the worry of it breaking.

This is the car as I bought it

How it was a few weeks ago

And how it is as of last week. Over 8 years since I bought it.

I've been documenting most of the mods, breakages and driving fun on the MR2OCNZ website since I joined that club. Below are a few links to key stages in the cars life since I have owned it.

The start, although this was 4 years after I bought it.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

The upgrades continue
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 3 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

A few visual mods
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 6 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

The start of my journey to create a better handling car within the limited modification rules New Zealand has. They aren't super strict but you can't just bolt in a set of coilovers and drive the car legally without paying for a certification which can cost more than half of a set of suspension.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 11 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 20 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 17 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
Final touches to suspension
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 26 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 28 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

Engine starting to fail so an attempt at fixing it.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 18 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

Failed attempt to fix original engine, engine replacement happened instead.

A trip to Japan with my wife for our honey moon.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 24 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

The MR2 has been great fun and it will continue that way I hope for many more years. Hopefully lessons learnt here can help others out. The Photobucket album for this car has 750+ photos and counting so there is a lot of info there.

I hope you enjoy reading, or even just looking at the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few updates on the car.

Upgraded shifter to the JDM 92+. 93+ in the US market.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 29 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

TRD strut braces
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 29 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

Night time photo shoot
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 30 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

CarPro DLUX detailing product for faded plastics.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 32 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

Final photo shoot before....
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 33 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

New wheels from Japan.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 34 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 35 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

Rear guard lip rolling.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 35 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

More new detailing products.
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 36 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 38 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

Gettin' it dirty
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 37 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

Hubcentric rings and install of centre caps
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 37 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

More photos
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 38 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 39 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 41 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

New brake parts to go on in the future once I get a chance to have the car out of action for a while.

Rare optional frunk tray

TRD strut brace badge fix
GDII's 1990 G-Limited - Page 41 - MR2OCNZ - The MR2 Owner's Club of New Zealand

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bringing this thing back to life. I don't post updates here, not sure why but I keep things updated on my Instagram or on my local New Zealand based MR2 club website.

I bought an ST215 Caldina GTT a couple of years ago for the GEN4 3SGTE. This was a major step forward in the progress of my project.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
The mod rules are basically around safety. If you install parts that is not OEM equivalent such as brake lines, suspension, larger wheels, exhaust or performance mods that increase output by over 20% then you have to get certified. They then issue an LVVTA tag listing the mods and attach to car body in engine bay.

Unlike the US we have to have all cars inspected every 6 months (or 1yr if registered in the year 2000 or newer) for a WOF or warrant of fitness by local garage. If you have installed mods they can ask for certification and you have approx 1 month to sort out before car taken off road. The WOF is basically another safety check to ensure things like tyres are compliant, wipers work, no structural rust, seat belts operational, windshield not cracked, brakes ok, etc. They attach a WOF sticker to inside windshield that can be viewed by cops during any road checks.

Jimb

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture of your mod plate in the car and where it is, please?

States are different, but MOST here have us getting things inspected every year...unless the car is over 30 years old (yay for a 1991 MR2 lol). But even for inspection, which I got on my DD a week or so ago, sounds like the WOF youre speaking of - check wipers, tires for sufficient tread depth, all lights in good order, windshield not cracked too bad etc.
They arent checking brakes or seat belts, but they do, also, run the OBD-II scanner on the car to test for fault codes etc

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for covering that @benckj
The rules are strict but still allow us to do a lot of stuff that some countries in the world are not allowed to do. Some won't allow any modifications.

The LVVTA cert (low volume vehicle technical association) was created to allow Hot Rodders to build cars from scratch. Low volume means a small amount of cars built to the same specifications and in most cases a 1 off. So even cars like the TRD GT86 that was sold here from Toyota themselves which I think was only around 10 needed to have an LVVTA cert even though they are sold from a massive manufacturer like Toyota. But due to being under a certain number built and having coilovers and big brakes they needed it.

For me, all my current mods are within the threshold of not needing a cert. But a change in aspiration from NA to turbo and a 20% increase in power (I'm expecting 150% potentially) I need a cert. Most other things I have or will be doing don't really require it but will be listed anyway like gearbox, wheels and potentially brakes even though they are a direct bolt on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts