MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gauging interest: FULL carbon fiber dash (not overlay)

I have been getting a lot of request for making a carbon fiber dash kit for the MR2/SW20. So here is the deal. I want to gauge interest for a COMPLETE carbon fiber dash (yes, the ENTIRE thing) and a complete replacement for just the TRIM (around the radio, shift knob, climate control vents, etc.). Both will be offered in regular carbon fiber, blue, red, and silver. The silver, however, doesn't turn out as good as the other three options.

Here are some exampes to help clarify the difference

Complete dash replacement (note: RSX dash pictured below)

This will be a one piece dash. This is a very difficult piece to make due to the number of angles (lot of labor). The dash isn't flat, so laying the carbon in a way to prevent distortion of the wave pattern is very tricky. Also, it will require many sheets of carbon fiber to get it done properly (for example, something like a OEM carbon fiber hood you can do with one giant sheet of carbon fiber since it is essentially flat). The mold that will be used will also be expensive. It will be made in California, not overseas. I am trying my best to keep the price as low as possible. Members of the forum said $1500-2000 is a fair price, I am trying my best to make that price happen. Is this price good for YOU!?

Trim piece replacement (see everything colored red)

This is similar to the kit AC Schnitzer makes for BMWs (my friend paid $4,288 for it . . .don't worry, a Mad PSI version will be MUCH less than that!). So you pop off the OEM trim, and replace it with a full carbon fiber replacement. The difference between this kit and the ones you see going for ~$300 (a lot of them on Ebay) is that those kits are plastic with a carbon fiber design on them (not real carbon fiber and not a full replacement). You then stick them over the OEM piece by using 3M foam, double-sided tape, or glue. I think they look very cheap (especialyl since they do not perfectly outline the trim pieces), and they start to peel after a while. It will be made in California, not overseas. I am not sure how much this will go for yet.

Please let me know if you are seriously interested. Please do not say you are seriously interested if you do not have enough money to purchase the item. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, let's get the full dash replacement project going. I need the following:

1. Someone to send me a complete dash (in good condition, since the mold is going to be used off of this). You will not get the dash back, since we will need to modify the OEM dash (e.g., skin it, fill in some cracks, correct imperfections, etc.), but you will get a nice discount to make it worth your while.

2. For a expensive project like this with such a small niche market, I need to be sure that at least 10 people will place an order up front. To do this, I need 10 people to put up a $100 non-refundable deposit. This deposit will be used towards your final payment. If the project falls through for some reason, the $100 will be refunded.

http://madpsi.net/MR2Dash.htm

Interested in complete dash - $1500-2000
(1) importfan ([email protected])
(2) spectramr2 ([email protected])
(3) icup ([email protected])
(4) tgsmr2 ([email protected])
(5) DriftR55
(6) tlohman81 ([email protected])
(7) grltnr ([email protected])
(8) MATTHEWMR2 ([email protected])
(9) BoostMan_2k5 ([email protected])
(10) tlohman81 ([email protected])

Interested in dash trim - $unknown
(1) Barry ([email protected])
(2) negogenicy ([email protected])

·
Registered
813 Posts
Pouya, it would be great, if you could realize that! I would sell and trough out my white-leather dashboard immediatly :rolleyes:
What do you think about directly integrating such a triple-gaugepod onto the dash (middle of it, above air-controls)?? Wouldn't that looking great!? :thumbup

For the price i would consider $ 1'500-2'000... ?

I would take the silver carbon-fiber option. Or could you even offer a white-option? Another thing you could initiate (maybe) would be carbon-fiber door covers & inserts!! That would be perfect!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
you know i'd be interested pouya... but if you make it, you should eliminate the the ash tray, or put two holes there for some gauges.

-tj

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
importfan said:
my white-leather dashboard immediatly :rolleyes:
Haha, :cool:

What do you think about directly integrating such a triple-gaugepod onto the dash (middle of it, above air-controls)?? Wouldn't that looking great!? :thumbup
That is a good idea. However, there are a few problems. Some people have non-flip out double DIN screens (e.g, Eclipse, Kenwood, etc.), double DIN stereos, boost controllers (e.g., Blitz), equalizers, cupholders, etc. already taking up that space.

For the price i would consider $ 1'500-2'000... ?
Thanks for the price suggestion. I will try to keep the price down as much as possible without sacrificing quality.

I would take the silver carbon-fiber option. Or could you even offer a white-option?
I can do silver, but not white carbon fiber.

Another thing you could initiate (maybe) would be carbon-fiber door covers & inserts!! That would be perfect!
Yea, maybe. One step at a time. :)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spectramr2 said:
Pouya...build it and it will sell :)

you got a rough estimation on how much? Im in for sure depending on how much.
Not yet. The number of negative angles, etc. all have an effect on the price, so we have to examine the MR2 dash specifically to see how much labor it is going to take, how many pieces the mold is going to be, how much carbon fiber is going to be used, and what other pieces are required (e.g, tabs). I sent pictures of the dash to the facility in Southern California already to get a rough idea before I ship them an actual dash. In addition, the price is also going to depend on how many people are seriously interested. Usually 30-40% of the people who say they are initially interested in group buys actually end up purchasing the product (even if the price is at the level they desired). So I am going to look at how many people are going to reply to this thread and divide it by 3 to get an idea of how much the initial batch of orders is going to be. This has to, at the very least, cover the cost of the mold. If it does that much, then I am not worried about making it since people who did not see this thread, or did not have money at the time the initial batch was sold would purchase it in the future.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
icup said:
you know i'd be interested pouya... but if you make it, you should eliminate the the ash tray, or put two holes there for some gauges.

-tj
Hi Tj,

Good suggestion. I agree, the ash tray will be eliminated for sure. I have to see whether I should have gauge holes/pods in its space by default. An issue I forsee with that is that is going to force some people to buy gauges or have empty gauge holds since not everyone has the money or the plan to use gauges. In addition, some people would rather use that space for something else (e.g., Zeitronix display, Apex'i S-AFC, etc.) or would rather have it flush for a clean look.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Id def be interested. I have no idea how to estimate a price. It may be worth it, but im not spending 1k on the dash.

As far as design: id say make the mold flush where the ashtray is, let people cut it out if they want the ashtray. They can cut out for any guages or afc etc.. that they may wnat. or leave it smooth. That will allow the best all around design for potential buyers IMO

·
Registered
722 Posts
Pouya said:
Thanks for the reply. What price range is right (and fair) for you?

Hmm... That's a good question. Considering I justpaid about 500 shipped for a set of carbon fiber t-tops... I could see a full carbon fiber dash going for... a lot. Haha. Maybe 1500-2000

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
tlohman81 said:
Hmm... That's a good question. Considering I justpaid about 500 shipped for a set of carbon fiber t-tops... I could see a full carbon fiber dash going for... a lot. Haha. Maybe 1500-2000
ditto. I got the tops too!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
tlohman81 said:
ditto. I got the tops too! Can't even imagine how much the dash would cost! and can you imagine the cost of shipping??? yowza.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
hey pouya, can you clarify this for us... i thought you were planning on doing just the piece that surrounds the radio, climate controls and shifter... i think some are expecting the entire dash board...

-tj

1 - 20 of 130 Posts