MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find the wiring diagram for a cluster I bought 2 years ago but can't find one that matches the coloring.

I am also hoping someone has a copy of the below write up with the photos and attachments as it looks like it would be perfect.
https://www.mr2oc.com/63-interior-modifications/448508-how-91-92-usdm-mechanical-93-jdm-electronic-cluster-conversion.html

My goal is to swap my 92 NA gauge cluster for the one I bought that has electronic speedometer in it but can't find out a color code diagram that matches what I have.

The part number on the new one is:
83010-17391
157330-3631 625
But I couldn't find any reference to this anywhere.

I took photos of the wire stubs I bought with the new gauge cluster. It is a NA with electronic speedometer but that's all I know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You can't go by the wire colors they are different for the same terminal position from car to car.

I have a couple of reference documents that I collected when doing a conversion for someone else. They include several clusters and I posted them over in this thread previously:
https://www.mr2oc.com/6791940-post16.html

One of them is the hmong document from the thread you referenced.

It turned out the speedo that I converted was not in any of these documents so I had to trace the paths on the back of the board wire by wire. I have yet to post my worksheet for this, who knows it could be the same as yours, I'll check.

By the way I ran your part number through toyodiy and amayama and it does not correspond to any known vehicle or at least it was not found in these databases. Is there any other part number that appears somewhere on your cluster? Generally it is on a tag on the back of the case. If you can identify your cluster's donor vehicle you can look up its wiring diagram in the Toyota TIS for $20 and believe me this is well worth the price of admission versus losing your mind and your eyesight tracing electrical pathways on the back of the board.

PS> If you're putting into a V6 you'll have to do something about the tachometer board either replace it or solder in a new resistor - this is also written up somewhere. The V6 tachometer boards we get here in the US are from lHD cars they will not fit in a rhd cluster if that's what you have.

PPS> Depending on the ECU and where you are getting the tach signal you may also need to change the input resistance on the tach board.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I searching a little while on some Australian MR2 site but didn't see anything. I'll look more later.

I wrote down the colors on what I have here. I have no clue what car it came out of. It was sold to me as 93+ cluster with wire pigtails. The pigtails all plug in the back so I hope they are the ones that went with the gauges. The plug colors match and the pin amounts match what you have but the colors are per the attached spreadsheet.

I want to see if I can get the speedo to work before I spend time fixing the tach. The ECU is a Link G4 Fury, motor is 2gr - Turbo E153 trans

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update,

I tracked the board from the back and followed the pins to label where they all went. Next i'll work on verifying what each thing is on the 92, the other one since I am unsure of what year it is will be more difficult.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I want to see if I can get the speedo to work before I spend time fixing the tach. The ECU is a Link G4 Fury, motor is 2gr - Turbo E153 trans
Here's how you can test the speedo without wiring the entire cluster:

The speedometer board's retaining screw positions (machine head screws, philips head) on the back of the cluster assembly are the board's terminals for power, ground, and signal. Use alligator clips or whatever to connect these to your source.

PS. In case you haven't wired your VSS already, you might find this useful:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wiring kit I bought came with instructions on wiring my G4 Fury into the body harness, it had me run to the EA1 body pin number 10 VSS. As well as to my ECU. The car was a Mechanical Speedo so I am not sure if that is correct for swapping it but the wire goes there none-the-less. but the rest of your video I have all set, the power I got from my standalone. Thanks Frank, I've watched several of your videos and they are always helpful.

Do you have a diagram showing the back of the gauge cluster with what each node is? for the 92 version? I will be able to figure out most from just look which light but would help to have a map.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have a couple of pinout diagrams for a 92 turbo cluster - one is from the BGB repair section the other is from the BGB EWD section. I'm sure that diagrams for a 92 NA are posted somewhere within reach. Which one do you need - 92 NA or 92 turbo?

PS. Here you go these are for a 91 hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again Frank.

So I finished figuring out where everything goes and I have two unknowns. There are 4 screws that go to the new Speedometer. I labeled them screw 4-5-6-7 on my diagram. Two of them I assume are power and ground and get added into two other pins from the 92. But two of them require signal and are empty. Where do I pull these 2 extra from?

I am able to confirm this is a 93+ US gauge cluster so the two wires I am looking to figure out are (Blue - 10) and (Brown - 3)

I have routed my VSS pin 2 to the body connecter EA1 pin 10. The electronic speed sensor is installed and wired with power and ground and the signal wire as just mentioned. If I can figure out what the two wires Blue 10 and Brown 3 from the 93 cluster are expecting I think I can fill in the rest myself.

Thanks for the help. I can't post Excel files here but here is a PDF of my work so far. Please note the wire connector colors AND the connector code ID's were both wrong and did not match the Toyota doc's but the wires are all correct, just labeling.

Last question, where can I buy the pins for the 93+ connector? I don't want to try and reuse pins and didn't want to put a junction in every wire unless I have to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Here's the EWD section for 93 Combination Meter.

It gives different options for the signal wire to the speedo.

For xref here's also the Repair Manual section for same.

For A3 and B10 which I think are the wires you are asking for it gives speed pulse generator and speed control (cruise control) respectively.

I don't know the proper way to do this all I did was run the signal wire straight from VSS to A3 or equivalent and left B10 or its equivalent unused.

Where to get terminals - try Ballenger Motor Sports bmotorsports.com. I've heard that these terminals are like $4 each.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I have a 2 week trip and when I get back i'll finish this. The part number for the 93+ pins is 82998-24180 and they are indeed like 4-7 bucks each on all of the Toyota pages. I'll check through your link and see if they have them cheaper, if not I'll just be soldering each wire I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts