MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently got an Omori boost gauge, and it's nice weather this weekend. Went out to try and get the gauge cluster out to install the gauge, and the cluster won't come out! I removed all the trim around the cluster, and removed the 4 screws holding the cluster in place (1 of the 4 held in the left trim). I know the 91-92's had a mechanical speedo cable, and that's the only thing I can guess is in my way. My cluster only has about 1" of play, if even that, pulling it straight out. After that, it does not move. I managed to reach around through the vent areas and unplug the large connector on the tach side of the gauge, but I can not remove the one on the speedo side. Nor get to any of the other cables back there. It simply won't come out far enough to reach any of them. I spent about 2 hours messing with it this morning, and then put it back together.

So what's the trick to taking the cluster out? :)

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
i cant tell you what the trick its b/c i have electronic speedo but you have already done what i would suggest now go back and atack it again with a clear head and see what happens... sometimes thats the best thing to do.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
im an n/a guy but saw this thread... let me just tell ya it i went through hell to install my reverse glow gauges.
-what i did was angle the cluster so that the face of the cluster is facing the drivers side window...
-now get ready to get your hand all greasy (but before that get all your wire plugs out (i think its 2 or 3 of them... i forgot).
-now it is going to be a bit tricky since there are 3 clamp like things with a death grip holding onto your cluster... try your best to start loosening them up until it slides off (it will take a while BTW).... after that you are good to go

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It is probably the speedo cable holding you up. Sometimes it helps to feed a bit of of the cable from the frunk into the cabin so that you can reach behind the cluster to disconnect it. Remove the spare tire and have someone watch as you pull gently on the cluster to see which cable it is and go from there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked in the frunk quickly yesterday and I think I found where the Speedo cable is coming through at. Although I had everything back together at the time. I'll try feeding it back into the cluster a bit after I loosen things up again. Hopefully that'll fix it. I'm tired of seeing + boost or - boost ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
To anyone else reading 15 years later, get your hand behind the cluster and gently tease the Speedo cable out by pulling on the nibs around the connector. Once it's off, rotate the cluster face towards the windscreen. It would be a simple matter after that (◠‿◕)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info, can you eloborate, what do you mean by " nibs" at the Speedo cable?
Is that what is found as the cable connects to the cluster?
I want to change an Auto cluster for a manual as our MR2 SW20 has had a transmission swap.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts