MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a mindless ramble, I am in the middle of installing my car alarm. It is from my old car, all the wires are black but I labeled everything and look heaps of photos when I carefully removed it. Luckily the 91 to 93 is the same. I understand why installers charge so much, it is a total nightmare of a job even just copying what someone did previously.

Anyway I noticed the red light on the door stopped working. I really tried to:

But it didn't work. It was a bit of a mess in there to say the least. I tracked the short down to a 3" section of wire in the middle of the door hinge area.

Motor vehicle Light Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

Don't worry, the hazard light plug is from the old car so I wouldn't have to remember the wire colours.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Auto part Electrical wiring

Mmmm professional.... thanks previous owners. At least they used solder.

Finger Circuit component Electrical wiring Personal protective equipment Wrist

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Automotive design

Somewhere in here. More cut wires with random bits soldered in.

Circuit component Electricity Computer hardware Electronic engineering Electrical wiring

I can now depin most of the plugs in this car in about 5 seconds (down from 25 minutes per pin originally).

Gadget Audio equipment Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electronic engineering

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Cable Eyewear Electrical supply

Audio equipment Diagonal pliers Needle-nose pliers Electrical wiring Tool

Does anyone know what this does and do I need it? Maybe for a OEM remote unlock?

Rectangle Font Electronic device Road surface Gas

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,657 Posts
Yikes. That does look a mess. Pretty sure the "Key Reminder" ECU controls the buzzer if you open the door with the key still in the ignition. And possibly also automatically unlocks the doors if you try to lock them when the key is still in the ignition. Or that might be controlled by another box.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Not meaning to jack this thread, but since you've torn into the factory alarm: any suggestions as to what I should check is my factory alarm light stays lit in the gauge cluster all the time, regarless of whether the alarm is armed? Alarm still works, BTW.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes. That does look a mess. Pretty sure the "Key Reminder" ECU controls the buzzer if you open the door with the key still in the ignition. And possibly also automatically unlocks the doors if you try to lock them when the key is still in the ignition. Or that might be controlled by another box.
Thanks. I didn't have it on my 91. I will put it back.

Not meaning to jack this thread, but since you've torn into the factory alarm: any suggestions as to what I should check is my factory alarm light stays lit in the gauge cluster all the time, regarless of whether the alarm is armed? Alarm still works, BTW.
No problem. Sorry I didn't even know there was a factory alarm. The one I removed was the wiring from another aftermarket AVIN unit. Factory one can't be a very good alarm? I am guessing just an imobilizer and goes off if someone wedges a door open. Worst option would be remove the bulb. I would consider a modern aftermarket alarm.

·
Super Moderator
3,383 Posts
JDM cars didn't get a factory alarm. Odd but that's how they were.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The key reminder? Is that just the buzzer for when you leave the key in and the door open?
I put it back, it fit in easy enough even with the alarm unit next to it. Easy to remove if it annoys me later.

Alarm works, car starts. Now I just need my new engine mount and swaybar links to arrive. Never a dull moment with these cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts