MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I got my fuel tank down and putting in the supra pump. Just before I put the fuel tank back up, I was thinking of replacing the heater pipes with pipes from a 1993 model mr2--Mine are somewhat corroded where the hoses connect to the engine.

A few questions.

1. Will the fit the 1991 mr2 turbo?
2. Where can I get them cheap?

I hear the 93+ are built better and contain a bushing to help prevent cracking.Is this true.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I had one of those pipes crack - and the new ones I purchased from Toyota had a rubber bushing right where the old one cracked. I don't think Toyota sells the heater pipes without the bushing in place.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
5sfect20b said:
Well,
I got my fuel tank down and putting in the supra pump. Just before I put the fuel tank back up, I was thinking of replacing the heater pipes with pipes from a 1993 model mr2--Mine are somewhat corroded where the hoses connect to the engine.

A few questions.

1. Will the fit the 1991 mr2 turbo?
2. Where can I get them cheap?

I hear the 93+ are built better and contain a bushing to help prevent cracking.Is this true.

Thanks
When you put in the supra pump, was it bolt on, or did you have to cut wires and sauter? how did you install it? im in the process in doing that. And also, i have a full tank of gas, and my car is not drivable at the moment, so how should i further approach this situation>?

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
RWDforlife said:
When you put in the supra pump, was it bolt on, or did you have to cut wires and sauter? how did you install it? im in the process in doing that. And also, i have a full tank of gas, and my car is not drivable at the moment, so how should i further approach this situation>?

Yeah,

Its a bolt on. There were a few other parts included in the kit--probably for the supra. I only used the rubber hose, the filter and tiny silver plug(to hold the filter on the pump), and two hose clamps. I used the old nuts and washers from the 3sgte pump.

I noticed there is a large bolt for the negative wire and a smaller bolt for the hot wire. The way the fuel pump sits on the rubber insulator, you can't wire it wrong.

• By the way, the supra pump has a small hole on the top, you can see what looks like red wire binding. Should this be covered by anything?

I had half a tank, all I did was connect an an connector to the top of the fuel filter, but I guess you could use the fuel filter line and disconnect it from the rail and do the following.

I put my hose into a 5 gallon tank and turned the ignition to "ON".

Then I used a jumper on the connection in the small gray test box in the engine compartment to run the pump.

If you have a 91, you have a drain towards the back. It looks like a huge allen wrench bolt. There is no head to it--it is level with bottom of the tank. I'm not sure how easy it is to remove. That's why I decided to go with draining the tank using the pump.

Of course I did this before taking any of the hoses off, except for the top fuel filter fuel line.

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot,

I've been taking pictures along this project, so It should give others another place to take a look once I'm done with the gas tank project.

Also I found the part numbers for the heater pipes--1993 MR2.

They are:
Drivers Side...............87208A($268.00)
Passangers Side..........87208B($182.62)

They don't have them in stock and the parts person said they have a Limited Quantity Nationwide!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts