MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie from UK again.
I posted a while back about very pungent petrol smell from my 86' AG11, that turned out to be a split 3/4's of the way up the wall of the fuel tank which I have repaired with plumbers solder.
I made sure all the connectors were seated properly and tightened up, including the two little buggers that go to the evaporation tower thingy.
The leak is cured but I still get a heavy odour of petrol in the cabin whilst driving.
I have checked underneath (whilst running and while not running) the car and I do not see any fuel dripping or escaping from hoses in the engine bay.
I remember seeing a post about this problem in a previous discussion but cannot find my way back to it.
One other thing I have noticed is that when I undo the fuel filler cap it "hisses" I think its sucking in air once I undo it, is this normal?
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
The charcoal cannister may be plugged up, or one of the vapor hoses may be plugged or pinched. I think that there is a rubber coupler on the filler pipe. The car it 35 years old, so any rubber piece is a suspect. Keep in mind that you would not see liquid fuel spilling unless the leak is below fluid level.

·
Registered
AW11b - 4AGE - C161 6speed trans
31 Posts
A little hiss is normal, If it does a big whoosh, it means there's to much pressure. If the pressure becomes to big in the tank something will probably be plugged up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, at the risk of appearing completely dumb, where is the canister? I have searched the engine compartment and do not see it ... how big is it?
I am wondering if at some point in the past that suction pressure built up and became so great that it caused the tank to crush against the internal structure and caused the split?
At the bottom of the cabin firewall I see a thin pipe with a white cylinder type thing connected by rubber hose in line to it, its about the size of the top half of a thumb, what function does this part serve?
Im not sure if I am allowed to ask here but can anyone recommend a MR2 savvy mechanic in the Sussex area of the UK?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
76 Posts
The charcoal canister is located right next the the fuel filter behind the battery on the firewall. There are 2 hoses on the top and one coming out the bottom. it is Fairly big.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, i have searched where you suggested but i just do not seem to be able to locate the charcoal canister.
Picture one shows what i think is the fuel filter but as you can see ...no sign of a canister.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Snapshot

In picture two I do however have a contraption that appears to be connected to the two thin breather pipes from the rear of the fuel tank? are these some kind of modification or something completely different?

·
Registered
76 Posts
pretty sure the second picture is of the fuel condenser or whatever it is called. IIRC it turns fuel vapor from the tank into liquid again and sends it back into the tank. It looks like your canister is not there, I wonder if the person who had it before you bypassed it and plugged the lines, and maybe one of them fell out. Maybe check for any lines with no home.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Lack of a charcoal can will definitely cause a fuel smell in the cabin. I have issues with mine getting saturated when I run up a long hill under boost, doesn't give the engine any time to purge the canister.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts