MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my car isnt startin but is crankin over so im guessin its the fuel pump, am i right?...well how hard is that to replace? and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
That could be a whole bunch of things, I guess you already checked for spark, propper timing, belt not broken, ignition componnets not worned out, good coil, good wires, EFI fuse not blown... To replace the FP you need to remove the tank from under the car.

How did the problem start??

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Jumper Fp and the B+ in the diagnostic box. You should hear the whir of the pump.

A second test is to disconnect a fuel line and place the end in a can to catch the fuel. Fuel should come out.

I would make sure it's dead before going through the expense and trouble of dropping the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump. No, there is no other access.

·
Registered
889 Posts
gas tank droppin

i am in the process of droping my gas tank on my na 87 model and i am posting photos as i progress

might help you in case you get in a jam

cnb

j3ff said:
well my car isnt startin but is crankin over so im guessin its the fuel pump, am i right?...well how hard is that to replace? and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
889 Posts
2 of the nuts that hold the shield on are easy to get to, the one on the bottom right hand side is a screw instead of a nut ( it has a 10mm head) and you can only get to it from the bottom. the 2 nuts are 10 mm as well

make shore you drain the tank before you drop it .

and tell any friends you have around "helping" you to put out all cigarettes

i should have more photos posted tomorrow

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well today my car started... and i have come to the conclusion that it starts wen its warm and doesnt star wen its cold... is this still the fuel pump?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It could be a cold start injector failing. By warm, do you mean recently run and warmed up or just warmer outside?

Fuel pumps have been known to fail like that. I've heard of people reaching with a stick under their car and hitting the tank until the pump impeller starts to turn again. Obviously that's best for a temporary fix.... works for a stuck starter, too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cold start issue. If I can remember correctly the start timer calls for the cold start injector at arround 50 but really becomes a problem at arround 40 next time use the accelorator to get it running by going to wot and back to closed this will lengthen injector pulse and put more fuel and when you close it you will have a richer mix wich is required for cold starts. I do this with a lot of toyota trucks that people take off road and break the sensor.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
cheak the cold start senser in your water line, it's pretty east to get to and replace, that solved my problem.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thx alot i will look at it today, and by warm i do mean warm outside, becuz i had it outside and it wouldnt start and i pushed it into the shop and about 10mins later it started right up with no hesitation, so ill look at the cold start injector sensor today

·
Registered
889 Posts
if you still half to remove the gas tank i have just uploaded 15 more photos including how to get the console off and disconnecting the fuel sensor plugs

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
One more thing I recall... I helped another MR2 member out who had intermittent starts. He found that if the car was in the cooler weather or damp it'd not start consistently. If it was inside and warmer, it would fire more often. It turned out that his distributor was bad. It took Toyota techs a while to figure this out at a respected service department since it was so sporatic. It's something to check anyhow...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will lok at that^, but is there a way to test the cold star injectors? or is there a write-up on them? does anyone no how much they go for?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts