MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently not getting fuel pressure and the fuel pump gets 12.25v when in the key is in the start position but dips down to 10v when cranking the engine and engine does not start. I can start with starting fluid though so i know it is fuel related.

What would cause the power to dip like that?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
Could be that fuel pump is seized. That would cause an overload on the circuit and would pull voltage down.

Has the car been sitting a long time? It is common for the fuel pump to seize if it is not run regularly.

Where are you measuring voltage? The fuel pump is not supposed to get voltage until the starter is energized.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be that fuel pump is seized. That would cause an overload on the circuit and would pull voltage down.

Has the car been sitting a long time? It is common for the fuel pump to seize if it is not run regularly.

Where are you measuring voltage? The fuel pump is not supposed to get voltage until the starter is energized.
The blue corded wires at the shifter, but yes the car had registration that expired in 2005 so im guessing thats the last it really ran

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
You can jump the fuel pump interlock in the test connector. I think that it is B to Fp. Then the fuel pump should run with the ignition on, and you should be able to hear it if it is running.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little update, after jumping it via diagnostic box I heard the pump try to move but it was a loud screeching noise so I'm guessing its shot. Rock Auto has Delphi pumps and I've had good luck with those in my jeeps. Is that brand good with the MR2s or is their another brand that is better?

·
Registered
27 Posts
On Rockauto the Denso pump is $5 more than the Delphi. I would use the Denso. I think if you remove the console you can replace the pump without removing the tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On Rockauto the Denso pump is $5 more than the Delphi. I would use the Denso. I think if you remove the console you can replace the pump without removing the tank.
Remove the shifter? Thats the only hole under the center console but i have to remove that assembly anyway to clean and re grease it. Ill check it out tomorrow

·
Registered
3 Posts
From inside you have access to the fuel level sender only. The pump is in the middle of the tank which needs to be dropped to get access.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I decided to try and remove my tank and to my surprise RUST. Well it looks like imma have to put my pump on hold while I fabricate a new support. Or are there any websites that sell the center support ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok little update I got a new pump in there but I’m only getting 10V still while cranking, when I jump the fuel pump via diag box I get 12v. Is there anyway to test the COR or is there any other relay I should look at?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You can jump the fuel pump interlock in the test connector. I think that it is B to Fp. Then the fuel pump should run with the ignition on, and you should be able to hear it if it is running.
Hey I’m in the process of dropping the tank again and I disconnected all the lines except the 2 vent lines. I cant seem to get them off again like I did before. I’m about to just cut them off and replace them unless you know a better option.

thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts