MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cut the intro, I'm a first-time owner of an 86' MR2!! Needs a bit of TLC, but its all there, everything works, and its a solid car.

It's been sitting for a few years, so first on my list is refresh the fuel system. I've already dropped the tank, which was the most fun job ever :D
Now I need to replace the pump, which is a solid can of rust, along with its mount system. Unless theres a better option, I'll probably sandblast the mount and replace everything I can on it.

That brings me to the pump, and my question. Where's a good place to get one. I've heard ebay ones are just as good as auto parts stores. I see a few on parts sites for $20, $40, $140. Any brand to avoid? I don't ever want to see this pump again so I don't want one that lasts 10,000 miles, but I don't think I need a Denso. I'm aware of the Walbro.

Any help is appreciated! Can't wait to get it on the road!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cleaning the tank depends on the condition. Having it professionally cleaned and coated will be your best bet if it's full of rust. If it's just dirty, fill it with a gallon of acetone and vigorously swish it around to get the chunky stuff out. There's only so much you can do with the limited access provides by the pump and level sender ports.

On the pump front, just get the denso, the extra 50 bucks spent now will be worth not having to worry about it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tera, I appreciate the response.

Thats probably what I'll do. I haven't yet because I have 0 experience with these cars so everything on them is new to me.

I've cleaned a old diesel tank the way you described but I also shoved a pressure washer in there and got most of the crud out that way. This MR2 tank has a lot of baffles so its going to be a bit harder. Its not rusted too badly, just mostly junk from 10 year old gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts