MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im still coping with an engine start problem with my 91 turbo

Now the my tuner who also installed my ems thinks i dont have enough fuelpressure cause everything else is ok.

But my plugs still get a little "wet" when i try to start the engine.Could it still be i dont have enough fuelpressure even if my plugs get "wet"???

Maybe a pump or regulator defect??

Thanks for the help, Greetz

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
1) Your tuner is most probably wrong!

2) Even a backyard mechanic shoiuld know how to check fuel pressure. Certaihly someone whocalls himself a "tuner' would know how.

bill

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
billwot said:
1) Your tuner is most probably wrong!

2) Even a backyard mechanic shoiuld know how to check fuel pressure. Certaihly someone whocalls himself a "tuner' would know how.

bill
I dont think you understood me. Im not saying they cant check fuel pressure.
I just was wondering if your plugs get wet(checked them myself to see spark)
if you could still have a pressure problem.

My tuner is one of the best in the netherlands. They are all about auto racing and dyno tuning.And they won many prizes, so there not stupid:)

Thanks anyway

Greetz Gj

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
If your getting enough fuel to wet the plugs, the engine should start.

And no offense, but if a fuel pressure problem is suspected, the logical procedure is to check the fuel pressure!

bill

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billwot said:
If your getting enough fuel to wet the plugs, the engine should start.

And no offense, but if a fuel pressure problem is suspected, the logical procedure is to check the fuel pressure!

bill

Oke thanks. You see the problem is, my car is on my driveway and my tuner is 100 miles away:/

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
well how long after the EMS-install did this problem start? if it got to your driveway from the tuner's place, then i'm assuming everything was fine at some point, which to me suggests you look elsewhere, not at the pressure. as billwot said, if you're wetting the plugs, then engine should start.

are you sure that it's gas on the plugs and not ... the other things that we don't want to say?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
get back to the basics... fuel... air... spark...

Since you imply that you have gas on the plugs, I assume that gas and air can get into the motor. Because gas is tolerant of ignition & combustion under a pretty wide range of mixtures, and the motor can deal with it under zero load, I'd look at the ignition issue myself... sounds to me like the timing is totally out of adjustment, and it will probably turn out to be a simple oversight, but it's still an oversight...

Not to pour salt in the wound, but if your uber tuner is so good and wins so much win-able stuff, how come your car doesn't work?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
510rob said:
get back to the basics... fuel... air... spark...

Since you imply that you have gas on the plugs, I assume that gas and air can get into the motor. Because gas is tolerant of ignition & combustion under a pretty wide range of mixtures, and the motor can deal with it under zero load, I'd look at the ignition issue myself... sounds to me like the timing is totally out of adjustment, and it will probably turn out to be a simple oversight, but it's still an oversight...

Not to pour salt in the wound, but if your uber tuner is so good and wins so much win-able stuff, how come your car doesn't work?
I have been driving for half a year with no problems.One day i came home and the next day i had the problem. I dont think the ems is suddenly changing settings on its own.....

You see im trying to solve the problem on my own, cause i dont feel like traveling 100 miles with a car that doesnt run...

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
gjs-mr2 said:
I have been driving for half a year with no problems.One day i came home and the next day i had the problem. I dont think the ems is suddenly changing settings on its own.....

You see im trying to solve the problem on my own, cause i dont feel like traveling 100 miles with a car that doesnt run...
Then let me respectfuloy suggest that you follow a logical troubleshotting sequence to determine the problem.

An engine needs 1) fuel, 2) spark, 3) and compression, 4) in the proper sequence (timing).

Since you apparently already know you are getting fuel delivery, I would next check for spark. If you have good spark, do a compression test. If all 3 components are present, then you need to check both mechanical and ignition timing.

bill

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I recently came across a problem with iridium plugs.. has happened a few times to me actually. Trouble is they foul easy and all of a sudden, your car wont start or idle anymore.

Not saying this is your problem but if you are running iridiums, try swapping them out for some cheap copper plugs and see if the engine improves

Its hard to tell if theres a good spark happening.. just because a plug fires in open atmosphere when testing, doesnt mean its firing under compression inside the motor.

-Tristan

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yo, that makes sense yes whehe

Mechanical timing is like camshaft timing with the camgears right??(probably not right)

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
gjs-mr2 said:
Yo, that makes sense yes whehe

Mechanical timing is like camshaft timing with the camgears right??(probably not right)
Yes, mechanical timing is the relationship between the crankshaft posititon and the camshafts.

bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
if the order is fuel, spark, compression, then how does this problem exist.. I have horrible gas milage from running rich, yet my spark plugs and o2 sensor are white(lean). ??? (sorry to split the topic).

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
jmdonhauser said:
if the order is fuel, spark, compression, then how does this problem exist.. I have horrible gas milage from running rich, yet my spark plugs and o2 sensor are white(lean). ??? (sorry to split the topic).
Three ways to look at this that I see

Plugs dont necessarily turn white from lack of carbon buildup (lean mixtures).. they can turn white from heat too ... ie, detonation, knock, preignition.. so consider that although you're running rich, you may be knocking too

Secondly... perhaps you're running quite rich when cruising (dud O2 sensor?) causing poor mileage... but running lean under boost from a clogged fuel filter or something?

Maybe you're not actually running rich? What makes you think you are aside from the mileage? Maybe you have a fuel leak at one of the banjo fittings.. eg filter.

-Tristan

·
Registered
142 Posts
wow, I have never considered any of these ideas. I only considered running rich from my absolutely horrible gas milage. I've already tried another o2 sensor and it didn't make a difference. I would like to check this thing you call the banjo fitting. If this is leaking, will it be easy to tell? My symptoms seem to pointing at loss of fuel before it reaches the engine, do you guys agree?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
jmdonhauser said:
wow, I have never considered any of these ideas. I only considered running rich from my absolutely horrible gas milage. I've already tried another o2 sensor and it didn't make a difference. I would like to check this thing you call the banjo fitting. If this is leaking, will it be easy to tell? My symptoms seem to pointing at loss of fuel before it reaches the engine, do you guys agree?
I'll point out now that banjo fitting leaks are not at all common, but Ive seen it happen before.. especially when someone replaces the fuel filter but forgets to install the correct washers.

The give away is... do you ever get a fuelly smell in the cabin, or in the engine bay when you pop the lid? if not then I wouldnt be suspecting a leak.

Its also hard to check because the fuel evaporates before it hits the ground.. if its a small seepage anyway. So it cant really be seen or felt, only sensed with the nose..

have you done the simple tests like compression test etc?

-Tristan

·
Registered
142 Posts
no I haven't done any tests at all. However, when I bought the car it had a custom exhaust on it and the person didn't like it so they cut it in half, and decide to keep it on.... it stopped at the crossmember. I could totally smell gas all the time in the cabin. However, I now have the stock b-pipe and a muffler back on and don't smell gas anymore, but still get horrible mpg. any ideas?

·
Registered
142 Posts
not since I got the car. I dont know when the person before me got a tune up either. I checked the o2 sensor, sparkplugs, and wires were replaced. I just need to change the oil, cap, rotor, and oil filter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts