MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes the 86 is called Toyota 86 here in Europe, we don't have Scion over here. But we also can get the Subaru.

The Toyota starts at ~45.000 US-Dollars (33.684?) in Austria, the Subaru will cost almost the same.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Does no one else see the irony of a statement that "I would never buy a car of that brand, even if it was a superior car. That brand is too superficial and not based on quality but is strictly about brand image!"
If Buick built a car called the "ManHuggerXL" that looked and drove like a new Porsche 911 for $25k I would buy and drive it with great joy!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
eckoman_pdx said:
It's hard to get past the stigma of the Scion crowd
This x1000. Good thing it's really easy to replace the Scion badges with Toyota ones. I'm just bull$#!t that you can't get any of the options in the FR-S like heated leather/alcantara seats, HID's, keyless access, etc. It's forcing me to buy the Subie version rather than stick with "Toyota" where my real allegiance lies. (Ironically, I work at a Subaru dealer).

Names and options aside, the car is absolutely brilliant and I can't wait to own one!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I take it you mean nylon gear teeth on the gears? I had a German Ford with a cam gear like that. (And a friend's Dodge Charger, same thing.) They do it for less mechanical noise. Most cars with any performance following have, or will have aftermarket all metal gears available. The friend's Dodge Charger gear self-destructed. During a rebuild on my German Ford, I replaced the gear with an aftermarket all aluminum alloy gear for a preventative measure.

Conor said:
Stuff like that, plus PLASTIC gears on the balance shafts... Which come apart from time to time, destroying the entire engine.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Do ANY cars use cast aluminum control arms? I'd think it'd be a strength issue. (My old 944 used forged aluminum control arms.)

filonin_2 said:
Don't they have pressed steel control arms instead of the nice cast aluminum ones our cars have?

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
MK1s have cast iron control arms. As far as I know, cars using aluminum control arms have forged ones. I would imagine cast ones would not be strong enough.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts