MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
4ageblue said:
I couldnt care less if its scion. scion ppl may not be the "coolest crowd" but they get cars noticed and then parts for them soon follow. Also arent all the scion made 100% in japan so biuld quality should be good. ill just be glad to see something from toyota that isnt boring. i love their trucks but their cars not so much.
This is kinda funny, especially since every MR2 I see on the road, seems to have a nerdy looking guy behind the wheel...lol

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
SteveAw11 said:
And also whats wrong with Drift? Nothing. Its a form of racing, it takes skill.
Drift is to racing as Freeride is to Downhill Mountain Biking...

Maybe a small engine is good. Then you swap in what you think is right...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am a little concerned about the ft-86 Toyota/Scion. If they build a car to a $15,000 sale price, you are just not going to get that much of a car. If they are trying to build a nice and sleek looking econobox, sure no problem. Put in a small fuel efficient engine with 180 HP or so and that is plenty of power for commuting. That's not enough for much fun though. They would need 40MPG to justify the lack of power. If that is what you guys want, buy a Yaris. Maybe this is just going to be a better looking Yaris...that scares me

IF they decide to up the ante and make a $20,000-$22,000 target price, you come close to the trifecta of the Genesis Coupe, Mustang V6, Camaro V6. All have over 300HP, and get close to or better than 30MPG.

If this car is still a year or two away many aspects are not set in stone, but I will wait to see what the final product looks like with the options list and engine options. My 91 MR2 is really starting to age and a new car is probably in the near future. The new FT-86 or whatever it will be called will be in the running, but it has to be a better car for the same money, or an equal car for less money.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
at the very least this car should have the performance of the Genesis coupe 4cyl turbo. since the price range is around 20g's

it would need 220hp, rear drive of course, but i dont see it happening.

what would blow me away more than a new AE86 would be a New MR2 based off the likeness of the MK2 90-99 body. with a longitudal engine layout using the 3.5V6 or small 4.0 V8. of course it wouldn't be cheap. but one can dream.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Here's my take: Scions are basically Corollas and Camrys in disguise. If the new FT-86 is a Scion, I wouldn't expect anything else. Especially in my lovely state of restrictions, CA.

They market all Scions as sporty, if the tC was RWD maybe, but for now i'd rather drive my FWD Accord than any of the FWD Scions. We'll see how it unfolds.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Bill Strong said:
hence why I have moved to the Spyder. I think I saw a 330i in that area recently.. time to upgrade that car soon to a new 335Xi.
Spyders are cheaper than clean MKII turbos.
I see mkiii's around here dipping into the $5k range without major problems. A MKII turbo with similar miles and condition would be $1500 more at least. As far as BMW's...

·
Registered
127 Posts
staci said:
some people dont want to be associated with the whole scion crowd....

some people are cool, but most are up there with civic ricers. I went to a few scion shows and its ridiculous. Staggered wheel set ups on FWD cars? (rears were bigger then the fronts) Huge wings put on backwards, enough neon to make the red light district jealous. I seen an new XB with racing seats in the front and in the back.... its like ugggg

this doesnt apply to everybody but it is true for most.

its just like ::facepalm::

now your going to give them a RWD car... its going to be OMG DRIFT DJHSKFHSKFHSKK
no need to hate on scions... at least the badge is breathing some like into toyota for the younger crowds. i own a tC as a DD, it's been a great bang for my buck... also sat in the 2011 the other day and although i'd never buy the same car twice i would love to have that steering wheel in my duece. sweeeet

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
filonin_2 said:
TC's are poo. I raced one once on a closed course, couldn't catch me until 95mph, which means I won the 1/4. Not bad for a 20+ year old POS.
Or it means that you had better exit speed than him and his car is faster than yours.
Stock they are rated at 160 and 160. Weighing in at 2900 lbs means that they should be plenty quick enough to outrun a stock MKI in a straight line. (the SC could give it a run).
I am not sure why everyone has to constantly dump on anything remotely sporty that Toyota tries. It sounds like you think that they should only make 20 year old, out of date sports cars and Camrys. Lots of what Toyota does is due to the fact that people who complain about new Toyotas may never have bought and will never buy any new Toyota. I think that Toyota is polling likely car buyers to get their feedback, not the guys who spend their time shopping for car parts at a wrecking yard. They are making tons of money doing it, so they must be pretty good at something...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
mr2by4 said:
Or it means that you had better exit speed than him and his car is faster than yours.
Stock they are rated at 160 and 160. Weighing in at 2900 lbs means that they should be plenty quick enough to outrun a stock MKI in a straight line. (the SC could give it a run).
I am not sure why everyone has to constantly dump on anything remotely sporty that Toyota tries. It sounds like you think that they should only make 20 year old, out of date sports cars and Camrys. Lots of what Toyota does is due to the fact that people who complain about new Toyotas may never have bought and will never buy any new Toyota. I think that Toyota is polling likely car buyers to get their feedback, not the guys who spend their time shopping for car parts at a wrecking yard. They are making tons of money doing it, so they must be pretty good at something...
i understand what they are doing from a business standpoint but come-on...nissan has the 370z and GTR---hondas got or at least had the s2000, toyota hasnt come out with anything fun in a long time. and even there attempt at fun-the mr-s was only enough to compete with the civic.. it seems every manufacturer has at least one serious enthusiast car but toyota.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
mr2by4 said:
Stock they are rated at 160 and 160. Weighing in at 2900 lbs means that they should be plenty quick enough to outrun a stock MKI in a straight line. (the SC could give it a run)
It was a drag race, so exit speed had nothing to do with it, but yes I am SC.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ghostrida3 said:
i understand what they are doing from a business standpoint but come-on...nissan has the 370z and GTR---hondas got or at least had the s2000, toyota hasnt come out with anything fun in a long time. and even there attempt at fun-the mr-s was only enough to compete with the civic.. it seems every manufacturer has at least one serious enthusiast car but toyota.
The 370z and the GTR are much more like Supra's. The S2000 is more comparable, but then mainly to the MRS. There is very little market for a niche sports car from a large manufacturer. Mazda manages to sell Miatas laregly due to their cross gender appeal, despite the significant sport prowess. I think that they only brough back the RX7 so that they could claim to be a sports car company that happens to make sporty other cars (MPV, CX7 etc). Toyota is not claiming to make sporty cars. Scion is. Scion needs a new MR2 or a new AE86. Toyota does not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wont the lexus IS smoke some the current sports cars? maybe not the one in its price range, but at one point they were pretty "sporty".

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Jared said:
IS350 is quick...
did the IS500 ever actually come out? Saw one at auto show, was very nice...
yep, it's called the IS-F. top gear did a review and said it was good, but didn't beat the m3.

the problem with the fr-s is the price. it's got stiff competition and it's going to be the only car without either a v6 or a turbo. it will have the same power as a genesis 2.0T (200-240 hp) from reading somewhere. it will be hard to beat the 370z in performance and since you can get a base for ~26k, the fr-s should be cheaper. if it was in the 20-23k price range, then it would do a LOT better. that said, it's better looking than the competition, IMO. if it handles like the rx-7 or close to a s2000, meaning .93g or better and good slalom mph, then it will sell. it should have a good mpg rating due to lower weight of the fr-s. about 24-26 average and 29-31 highway.

toyota is as good or better of a brand than anything out there. subaru is up there too. problem is, they've gotten worse since pre '98 (4a, 3s, 5s, 2jz all extremely solid vs zz, 2a's are near as good) and everyone else is getting better. used to be a toyota would go 200K+ without hesitation and now you are lucky to get 160k-200k without a major failure. same as other brands though. it used to be toyota built tanks and now efficiency is the name of the game. light and reliable don't always work out so well.

i still want the fr-s :). i think it's a sexy car with a descent motor. just waiting for either news of handling and/or a turbo/v6 version. why didn't they just drop a 2gr in it???? it would sit low enough, IMO!

maybe they'll use this chassis and drop a v8 in it and call it a supra??? don't know if the wheel base would support the engine size though.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
mr2by4 said:
Spyders are cheaper than clean MKII turbos.
I see mkiii's around here dipping into the $5k range without major problems. A MKII turbo with similar miles and condition would be $1500 more at least. As far as BMW's...

where? I'd like to scoop one up for 5k.. :D

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
mr2by4 said:
The 370z and the GTR are much more like Supra's. The S2000 is more comparable, but then mainly to the MRS. There is very little market for a niche sports car from a large manufacturer. Mazda manages to sell Miatas laregly due to their cross gender appeal, despite the significant sport prowess. I think that they only brough back the RX7 so that they could claim to be a sports car company that happens to make sporty other cars (MPV, CX7 etc). Toyota is not claiming to make sporty cars. Scion is. Scion needs a new MR2 or a new AE86. Toyota does not.
my point is the 370z, gtr, s2000 are not cars that one would usually by to get grocerys in or lug around the kids.. they are real performance minded vehicles...toyota hasnt come out with anything like that in a long time-probably since the supra.....i forgot about the lf-a nevermind..lol.. that thing is sick..i will never be able to drive one but goodness..

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ghostrida3 said:
..i will never be able to drive one but goodness..
There is the reason that Toyota doesn't care what you or I think. We don't/won't buy one. If we really wanted a new, top notch Japanese sports car, we would be on the GTR board, not here talking about swapping a mid 90's v-6 into a mki to give it some "modern" power.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
mr2by4 said:
There is the reason that Toyota doesn't care what you or I think. We don't/won't buy one. If we really wanted a new, top notch Japanese sports car, we would be on the GTR board, not here talking about swapping a mid 90's v-6 into a mki to give it some "modern" power.
toyota is mostly concerned with profit. it used to be concerned with profit AND reliability. if you really sit down and think about it, a real mr2 contender would cost about 35-40k in todays US dollars. they are making cars for less that will run with a mk2 or beat one. even by todays sports car standards, the mk2 mr2 is still a hell of a sports car.

a stock mr2 turbo should do what? 14.7 ET, 60-0 in 106-108 ft, and pull ~92-94 lateral g's? still not bad for a celica powered car with an old trailing arm suspension. :)

if you want modern, swap in a beams with vvt, new billet turbo, motec and a cop ignition.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts