MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota held a sales meeting this week in Las Vegas where CEO Akio Toyoda announced that the FT-86 will be sold in the US as a Scion. There are reports of a front end redesign of the FT-86 as well as a reduction in engine size to 2.0L.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
ohh god, not as a scion....

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Im not worried about it, it should still be RWD (or as i call it right wheel drive) And if its a Subie motor then guess what... an STI motor will fit. Gotta think of the big picture. STI motor plus RWD Toyota, A sexy sounding beast made of quality, win.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
SteveAw11 said:
Im not worried about it, it should still be RWD (or as i call it right wheel drive) And if its a Subie motor then guess what... an STI motor will fit. Gotta think of the big picture. STI motor plus RWD Toyota, A sexy sounding beast made of quality, win.
+1

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Bad news for sports car fans, but not for Toyota.

As you would expect from any massive company, they go where the sales are.

There are always seemingly lines of people screaming to bring back the mr2, the supra, make a new car but why would they, really?

Sales of mediocre but well built cars like the corrola or camry will always be the biggest priority for Toyota.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I like that there are people who would refuse to buy it if it was called a Scion, but would buy it if it were a Toyota or Subaru, They then claim that this is because they value substance over pretense.
For those individuals, you should look up the words ironic and hypocrisy in the dictionary.
A lightweight FR Toyota is exciting to me. I don't care what motor they put in it, I am swapping in a 1UZFE ASAP. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yellow2 said:
Bad news for sports car fans, but not for Toyota.

As you would expect from any massive company, they go where the sales are.

There are always seemingly lines of people screaming to bring back the mr2, the supra, make a new car but why would they, really?

Sales of mediocre but well built cars like the corrola or camry will always be the biggest priority for Toyota.

The Supra is coming as a V-8 for $40k and a V-10 for $50k. The MR2 is due soon after. Toyota acknowledges the sports enthusiasts around the world and will continue to fill these niche markets as the resume their quest to become the no.1 manufacturer in the world. Direct evidence today of their commitment is the FT-86, a clean sheet of paper design aimed for enthusiasts. I agree the "appliance" cars are the bread and butter of Toyota but the niche markets will be the contributors that set world sales records.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
floridatropics said:
The Supra is coming as a V-8 for $40k and a V-10 for $50k. The MR2 is due soon after. Toyota acknowledges the sports enthusiasts around the world and will continue to fill these niche markets as the resume their quest to become the no.1 manufacturer in the world. Direct evidence today of their commitment is the FT-86, a clean sheet of paper design aimed for enthusiasts. I agree the "appliance" cars are the bread and butter of Toyota but the niche markets will be the contributors that set world sales records.
Please provide the source for these comments...

People have been bleating about a new supra for 10 years....where is it?

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Bill Strong said:
I would not be surprised if the engine size goes even smaller.
I have seen pics of another rwd car than is supposed to be smaller and cheaper than the FT86 with a 1.5. Toyota said that because the FT will end up costing more than originally thought they wanted to fill the low low price range. Haven't seen anything on it in the last month or so.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
floridatropics said:
Why would they charge 50k for a V10 sports car when they are already charging 400k for one. I have yet to see anything recent on a new Supra. They had claimed V6 to compete with the Z and a V8 to compete with the GTR, but that was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
scottgas said:
Why would they charge 50k for a V10 sports car when they are already charging 400k for one. I have yet to see anything recent on a new Supra. They had claimed V6 to compete with the Z and a V8 to compete with the GTR, but that was a couple of years ago.
It may just take them a long time like it took them to make the LF-A, I dont doubt they will make the Supra again, its an iconic Toyota sports car, they will, the real question is when.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
mr2by4 said:
I like that there are people who would refuse to buy it if it was called a Scion, but would buy it if it were a Toyota or Subaru, They then claim that this is because they value substance over pretense.
For those individuals, you should look up the words ironic and hypocrisy in the dictionary.
A lightweight FR Toyota is exciting to me. I don't care what motor they put in it, I am swapping in a 1UZFE ASAP. :)
some people dont want to be associated with the whole scion crowd....

some people are cool, but most are up there with civic ricers. I went to a few scion shows and its ridiculous. Staggered wheel set ups on FWD cars? (rears were bigger then the fronts) Huge wings put on backwards, enough neon to make the red light district jealous. I seen an new XB with racing seats in the front and in the back.... its like ugggg

this doesnt apply to everybody but it is true for most.

its just like ::facepalm::

now your going to give them a RWD car... its going to be OMG DRIFT DJHSKFHSKFHSKK

1 - 20 of 110 Posts