MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up for sale is a 91 MR2 NA with 139k on the chasis, and 0 miles on the engine. That's right 0. I owned this car for the past year, and I rebuilt the engine myself. About halfway through the rebuild my financial situation changed, and now I'm able to afford a sports car that's a bit more expensive. I decided to finish the MR2 just to get my money out of it. Right now I can start the car up, but it won't stay on for more than about 3 seconds. I'm having issues with fuel delivery. I don't have the time or the motivation to finish this car up completely, but it is 98% complete, and all the parts are there.

Here is what the car has had done to it. I ordered a complete gasket overhaul set, new connecting rods, pistons and rings, I had the crankshaft microsopolished, the block was decked, honed and hot tanked. The head was rebuilt with new valves (not just a 3-angle valve job), new valve seals, and whatever else is normally done during a head rebuild. I was not the one who rebuilt the head, I sent it off to a reputable machine shop. I also replaced the oil pump, timing belt with all the pulleys, new clutch, and probably a couple of other things which I'm forgetting now. Everything is Toyota brand, and I could probably dig up receipts for almost everything.

The outside and the inside is in almost perfect condition. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Nice and shiny.

This car has never been in an accident, and has a clean title. I can email you the carfax from back when i bought the car. I can also send you build pictures, along with any other pictures you may like.

As for price, since I need to state one, I'll say $3500 OBO. If you have an offer to make, don't be afraid to PM or email me, the worst that can happen is that I will politely refuse the offer. My email address is [email protected] or you can PM me. The car is located in SW Michigan

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
bump for a nice ride :thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
I would suggest that you go that extra 2% and get the car running well so that you can sell it for $4k or more.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm going to look at the fuel rail and the injectors this weekend and see if I can find something obvious. I'm very busy with my job even on the weekends, and my problem is time.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Gotcha. In that case, it might even be worth the $$ to have a mechanic you trust take a look at it and check the obvious items for trouble. But I know where you are coming from... Good luck with the sale. The car looks really nice and the price is a bargain (running or not).

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TBeck2000 said:
Gotcha. In that case, it might even be worth the $$ to have a mechanic you trust take a look at it and check the obvious items for trouble. But I know where you are coming from... Good luck with the sale. The car looks really nice and the price is a bargain (running or not).

Thanks for the suggestion. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he's coming to diagnose and probably fix the car Tuesday. I'll update the thread then.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All right. Here's an update on the car. My mechanic came over last night and worked on the car. He found out that one of the O-rings on the injectors was put on wrong, and it was leaking gasoline because of that. He was able to fix that.

The problem of the car cutting off still continued however. The mechanic was able to trace that problem down to a faulty ignition switch. He took the ignition switch apart, and got the car started with a screwdriver, and it ran fine. I will be ordering a new ignition switch today.

Then we took the car out for a test drive. I drove it for 8 miles. We found a couple of problems with the car, the biggest one being a water leak. The temperature never got above 2/3, so don't worry, I didn't blow the head gasket or anything. We brought the car back, and he beleives that he fixed the water leak. He still has to make a couple of adjustments on the car, like the idle. We will also try to resolve the check engine light, and for some reason the air bag light was on as well.

The car is still for sale at the current price, but after all the issues are resolved, the price will be raised slightly.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
For the airbag light, if there is not anything wrong with the sensors or the airbag mechanism, you may want to try "playing the drums" to turn the light off. I have never done it myself, but it doesn't sound too difficult. Check out page AB-31 of the BGB: http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/volume2/srs_airbag/Manual_1198_0001.jpg This will clear the CEL (Code 41 in the ECU) and the Airbag light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts