MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1988 Toyota MR2 SC for sale 113,000 miles with many new & re-built parts. Asking $12,000.

Purchased in April 2021 from an auction on www.carsandbids.com. You can go there and search to see the condition and what I paid for it. A month after I brought it home I found the color SC I really want (orange Pearl) so after some agreements with the seller, I decided to fix the things that I felt were important to make it a safe and fun daily driver or weekend project car. It has just under 112,000 miles so it hasn’t been driven much since I bought it. The majority of its time has been torn apart in my garage. The few months I did drive it were a blast despite the front end issues. As you can see in the rebuild link above, the entire front end has been rebuilt (steering, suspension & braking). I haven’t touched the rear end and will be selling as is. Sale includes rear Eibach springs and poly bushings. The existing rear bushings are not bad in my opinion but up to the buyer how they feel. The car runs and drives great. It handles amazing with the 15” sparco wheels and Hankook RS4’s with plenty of tread left. I’ve replaced old bolts with many sizes of stainless steel ones, especially in the frunk area where the radiator support is located. I’ll update more soon.
Contact me if you have questions.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,373 Posts
I thought you re-did the C-piller trim? Need to find a dual-outlet muffler though. The single tip just doesn't look right on the MK1.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Th
I thought you re-did the C-piller trim? Need to find a dual-outlet muffler though. The single tip just doesn't look right on the MK1.
Those 3 pics were from the day I brought it home. I’ll post up the updated ones, along with my exhaust tip solution ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is headed to the alignment shop tomorrow. Besides a few small things to finish up, it’s ready.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Light
Tire Wheel White Automotive tire Light
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Light Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design Satellite radio

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Things included with sale:
-Used Eibach rear springs, haven’t installed yet. Also the OEM front springs if you want.
-Poly bushing kits for rear control arms and strut bar.
-OEM SC clutch pedal. Was damaged by PO when I inspected the “play” in pedal. See the rebuild link above for further pics and explanation.
-Hella aftermarket horns, have been installed but not wired up yet. Also OEM horns included if you want.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle
Wood Headgear Personal protective equipment Gas Eyewear
Sleeve Font Publication T-shirt Motor vehicle
Bumper Material property Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve been out of town but I left the car with the alignment shop. It’s good to go and he sent me a couple pics while on the lift.
Liquid Fluid Hood Automotive tire Font
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted some updates from weekend work in the re-build thread link above. I got the car back from the alignment shop. Good news is the car alignment and steering is good to go. Bad news is the shop found a small radiator leak and also said the drivers front brake caliper is sticking. I have to tear into those issues next. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The good:
Completely rebuilt front end w fresh alignment
Engine runs strong, no cold start smoke at all.
Newer exhaust by PO
SC oil changed by PO
Great Hankook RS4 tires & aftermarket 15” wheels
Newer paint by 2nd PO
Overall solid car

The bad:
Rust on drivers rear fender
Missing C-pillar Toyota visor
Small coolant leak coming from radiator
Typical dings, scratches and paint chips
Rear end suspension not rebuilt. Have not touched it at all but seems to be functionally ok.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,373 Posts
No cat in the exhaust, right? Might be of concern to folks in some areas... Like where I live.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,373 Posts
I suspect that Calif. sniffer standards are stricter. Plus if the inspection person wants to be a d1ck they can also fail you for not having a cat - even if the sniffer test passes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts