MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I take my '92 out of storage (since October) to drive it around and get it ready for the new owners drive home (MN to Texas). All seems well and good, I take it on the street and this CHUNK....CHUNK......over bumps, like there is NO left front suspension at all! The right is fine, but the left is like the suspension is FROZEN? I have H&R Lowering springs and Tokico Adjustables (few years old) and everything was fine when I put it away. When I go to push down on the left front, it barely moves. Like I mean the freakin' spring seems like it's not even moving? Right moves up and down about 1.5" or so, and both springs looks to be sitting even. Even if the fluid drained/shock went out the car would still at least be riding on the spring, It fells like there is no suspension at all now!! :mad:

Also, this might help out- I can't turn my adjuster knob on top of the "frozen" shock. :eek:

I need to get the fixed ASAP, I'm not sending this car to the new owner with this issue.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I know several poeple who have had forzen shocks. Get a garage heat the shock up. Should fix the problem. IF they are owning it in Texas there is no worry of it freezing again. somtimes water just get in the joints and ____ and really freeze _____ up. Belive me i now im a Minnasotian myself.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Out of curiousity, what is the freezing point of shock oil?

I would definitely take the assembly out and inspect the actual insert. If giving it some heat won't work, worst case scenario is to buy a new insert. I think some kind of expansion/shrinking occured which caused the shaft to be unmovable. But I suppose struts are supposed to survive these kind of conditions, so I don't know if a warranty would be applied here.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Usually they say the blame is on your cuz you let your shock get water in it or somthing. Friend went threw all that. Although heating it up worked... and it hasnt froze since.

i think they just have to be in the perfect position to freeze.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Is this common with all shocks? Cause if only the tokicos are doing it. I might have to reconsider what I get in the spring.

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is highly uncommon and definitely shouldn't be taken into consideration when deciding on struts. Given the circumstances (stored for the winter where its below freezing point), its somewhat of a freak problem as it only happened to 1 of the 4 struts.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
no all struts will do this in the right circumstance. As far as i know it doesnt ruin anything once you heat them up and get them working again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts