MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... my car is a 91 Turbo. I'm getting rubbing on the rear of the front wheel wells. Wheel spec is a 17x8 ET35 RFP1 with a 225/45R17 Yokohama Advan Apex tire. I thought these should be the correct fitment and size for the car?

The strut bar (tension rod, whatever) has about 1/2" thread room left, I'm thinking I might wind it in to pull the wheel forward some more.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
That rub is actually not surprising, and your solution isn't that bad. While some tire brands in that size do fit (it's a moving mystery which ones), the proper fit is either 215//40-17 or 235/40-17 (235 with a bit of work depending on the tire brand).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wilhelm Raceworks upper camber/caster plates also give more clearance in that spot. Currently running 225/45-17s up front with no rubbing with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What the others said. I run the same front wheels (+5 mm spacer) and get a pretty bad rub with 225/45/17 Toyo RRs and Hankook RS4s. First time I put that size RRs, the edge that's seam welded at back of the well (under the liner in your pic) was cutting into them so bad, it made an extra "channel" into the tire. I took an angle grinder to remove that edge and have maxed out caster, but going full lock around the paddock is still aspirational. It's tolerable now on a race car, but wouldn't try that size for daily driving.

To be fair, if I had other options, I definitely wouldn't run such a large diameter tire at the front. With a typical 245/40/17 at the back, you really need to jack up rear ride height to get any reasonable rake. Otherwise the car just understeers into oblivion. A 225/45/16 gives you lots more options to balance the car, but there's next to no sticky tires in that size.

Ok, rant over -- if you want to stick with this size, max out caster and do check the rest of your alignment specs after.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The 225/45/17 is what stuck out to me, that's a relatively large diameter tire for the sw20. If you can do a 215/45/17 there are a lot of options in that size. Any large tire is susceptible to rub the inner fender there, so a little caster will help pull the tire forward as mentioned before.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
The 225/45/17 is what stuck out to me, that's a relatively large diameter tire for the sw20...
Yup, it is. Even 215/45 is tough to fit up front.

Here's an actual RPF1 in 17x8 +35 w/ an old Hankook in 225/45-17, this one does not rub anywhere. So it can just bolt-on w/ certain tire brands/models, but generally it's a crapshoot unless some work is applied.

·
Premium Member
13,333 Posts
Wilhelm Raceworks upper camber/caster plates also give more clearance in that spot. Currently running 225/45-17s up front with no rubbing with them.
If anything I would expect my top mounts to reduce clearance in that area, since it tilts everything back. Pulling the wheel forward with the strut rod is still probably required.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If anything I would expect my top mounts to reduce clearance in that area, since it tilts everything back. Pulling the wheel forward with the strut rod is still probably required.
It actually all clears. The previous owner put them on and found it gave enough clearance. I think the extra caster of the mount and more inclined strut axis make things rotate better forclearance.

My caster rods are completely neutral, which is easy to verify since the previous owner put in urethane bushings on the FLCA. Your front top mounts plus everything else stock should make 225/45-17s clear in the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts