MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like a oem replacement is about 80 bucks a side. does this sound right?

do the cusco/tien/so on camber plates/pillowball mounts replace this?

if so, any reason not to upgrade?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I think the mounts are about $65 each through partznet.

I was told that the cusco's can be substituted for OEM's. I just started my strut swap yesterday so I guess I'll soon find out.

*** I'm editing this post because I should have said Tanabe/Sustec and not Cusco. Anyhow I have the whole strut assembly off now and am trying to figure out the pillowball mount.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Are those KYB mounts or boots? I read somewhere that it is an error on the Tire Rack website. I think they really sell just boots.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Well, I finished the front passenger side and it appears that the tanabe mounts fit. I will move onto the driver side next and then go for a test drive.

Here is a picture of the tanabe.

Attachments

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,966 Posts
bubblebutt said:
Are those KYB mounts or boots? I read somewhere that it is an error on the Tire Rack website. I think they really sell just boots.
They sell both. They now have pics of both, not the actual pics of ones for the MR2. I also remember at some point there was an error on Tirerack or some other popular site about it.

There are also some TRD front mounts on eBay for $60 / pair + shipping. I would go with those over the KYB if I were you. Even at the same price, I would go with the TRD over the KYB, but the TRD are even cheaper.

John

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I got the Tanabe's off of a board member. I don't know where he got them from. They are brand new. They appear to be meant for coilovers (Sustec Pro's?).

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just received the pair I purchased off of ebay for about $65 a set. They are Japan TRD mounts which uses a harder rubber. I'm not sure what the regular ones are like, but the rubber on these mounts are as hard as poly bushings.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
I just tried to order the KYBs and was told that they've been discontinued.

The pillow balls will replace the stock mount, but you're going from a rubber isolated mount to metal. Expect to get some more impact jarring through the chassis.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
^^^You know, I just thought about that. I was switching from AGX's to tokico's b/c I found the former too stiff. I decided to replace the mounts and bought the tanabe's b/c they only cost me about the same as OEM ones and b/c they are adjustable. I guess we'll see if the result is stiffer, the same, or softer. I'm hoping it will still be softer.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was actually doing some digging on partznet for strut mounts for a friend. The best combination of pricing I was able to find was using the '94 model year for both the fronts and rears. I don't have the links handy, but all four were in the $60 range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts