MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1986 mk1a Mr2
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am planning on swapping a gen 5 3sgte into a project car I'm working on ( a1973 Jensen Healey) and I am trying to figure out what transmissions I can use for the Front engine RWD set up. Doing research, I've seen people say that the trans from the, manual Taco or 4Runner, 82-89 Toyota minivan, Nissan cd009, W55 through W58, R154
and 1982–1989 non-turbo Supras, Celicas and Cressidas will work, but I'm not 100% sure. So does anyone know what will work, or have any recommendations? Also, are there any companies that make bellhousings to adapt other transmissions to the 3sgte?

Edit- Would something like these work?
Manual Transmission 2WD 5 Speed 4 Cylinder Engine Fits 05-15 Toyota Tacoma | eBay
Manual Transmission 2WD 2.7 Liter 4 Cylinder Fits 96-00 4 RUNNER 7526694 | eBay
Manual Transmission 2WD Cylinder 4 Speed Fits 89-90 TOYOTA PICKUP 6909134 | eBay
TOYOTA HILUX 84-88 YN56 2Y 4x2 RWD PETROL TRANSMISSION GEARBOX MANUAL | eBay

Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I only know of one person who has done an FR 3sgte, and that's Mark Panic. He did a gen5 3sgte swap into a cressida(?) drift car. IIRC he used an Altezza RS200 transmission, but I could be wrong. I don't know if the 5th gen BEAMS 3sge has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a transverse 3sgte.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Why not make your life easier and use a RWD 3S-GE with a 6 speed trans? The SXE110 3S-GE Beams fits this, and they're still relatively affordable even with the +50-100% most JDM engines jumped in the price in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
1986 mk1a Mr2
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not make your life easier and use a RWD 3S-GE with a 6 speed trans? The SXE110 3S-GE Beams fits this, and they're still relatively affordable even with the +50-100% most JDM engines jumped in the price in the last couple of years.
Really want the torque and power of the 3sgte.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Really want the torque and power of the 3sgte.
Easier to toss a turbo on a RWD Beams 3S-GE than it is to adapt a different trans to a transverse 3S-GTE IMO. Usually with adapter plates you’re looking at a plate plus flywheel unless you’re lucky enough dimensions are close enough to hit with adapter plate thickness or milling down the bell housing. It can get pricey in a hurry as a custom setup.

I also agree with the above, why not do a RWD 2GR setup? They’re newer, and cheaper than gen 5 3S-GTEs.

·
Registered
1986 mk1a Mr2
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easier to toss a turbo on a RWD Beams 3S-GE than it is to adapt a different trans to a transverse 3S-GTE IMO. Usually with adapter plates you’re looking at a plate plus flywheel unless you’re lucky enough dimensions are close enough to hit with adapter plate thickness or milling down the bell housing. It can get pricey in a hurry as a custom setup.

I also agree with the above, why not do a RWD 2GR setup? They’re newer, and cheaper than gen 5 3S-GTEs.
Ive already got the 3sgte. Also not sure if the engine bay would have the space for a v6. Its a tiny bay.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Although they're out of stock 😕

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ive already got the 3sgte. Also not sure if the engine bay would have the space for a v6. Its a tiny bay.
The 2GR is very similar sized to a 3S-GTE in most dimensions. Might even be a bit narrower overall.

That aftermarket bell housing is good, I wonder if it works with stock flywheels.

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
So the issue with a GEN5 3SGTE or any transverse 3S is they lean way over where a GEN5 3SGE that was only mounted longitudinal stands up straight. So using the Altezza gearbox works but the engine either leans or the gearbox gets rotated. Not really a major problem but this is a thing.

Adaptor plates and flywheels are a good way to go if you aren't using a gearbox that mates up to a 3S or a transverse V6. The IS350 2GR is not the same as the RAV4 or similar 2GR so won't bolt up to a 3S style gearbox. But that's really only an issue for the MR2 or similar setup. If you are RWD then the IS350 engine and gearbox works. But weren't they all auto?

·
Registered
1986 mk1a Mr2
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the issue with a GEN5 3SGTE or any transverse 3S is they lean way over where a GEN5 3SGE that was only mounted longitudinal stands up straight. So using the Altezza gearbox works but the engine either leans or the gearbox gets rotated. Not really a major problem but this is a thing.

Adaptor plates and flywheels are a good way to go if you aren't using a gearbox that mates up to a 3S or a transverse V6. The IS350 2GR is not the same as the RAV4 or similar 2GR so won't bolt up to a 3S style gearbox. But that's really only an issue for the MR2 or similar setup. If you are RWD then the IS350 engine and gearbox works. But weren't they all auto?
I know about the leaning, its not really an issue. Do you know anyone that makes adaptor plates?

·
Premium Member
13,552 Posts
I'm curious what oiling issues one might expect mounting a 3s longitudinally. Sump to the front, flywheel to the rear, and on acceleration, the oil goes where? I know that mounting a 2gr-fe longitudinally kills it. Somebody else found this out at their own expense.
Should be less issue than you would see mounted transverse and subjected to cornering loads. It's much easier to generate 1g lateral than 1g forward. But I agree, the sump on a standard transverse 3S or 2GR IS in the "wrong" location for a longitudinal mount.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm curious what oiling issues one might expect mounting a 3s longitudinally. Sump to the front, flywheel to the rear, and on acceleration, the oil goes where? I know that mounting a 2gr-fe longitudinally kills it. Somebody else found this out at their own expense.
I'm very curious about this, My FR 2GR doesn't appear to have a major oiling issue, but it doesn't experience G's; I do worry about it a bit on steep climbs, but the 5VZ that came out of it was also front sump...

to answer OP's question:
R-series bellhousing for the 5VZ-FE will bolt to a 2GR-FE (some helicoil-ing required) and with a little effort (about an hour with a die grinder) the accompanying starter will bolt right up.
^this likely means that the same bellhousing will bolt up to a 3sgte with a similarly small amount of work, I'm using a 5VZ-FE flywheel/clutch with this combo.
The starter moves to the Motor side of the joint, I'm not sure if it would interfere with the intake manifold on a 3SGTE or not.

But about a 2GR in FR layout...
I think the hardest part (depending on your engine bay) about a 2GR-FE into a FR application is getting the upper intake manifold to fit/making a manifold. Unfortunately no combo of the OE GR manifolds appears to fit correctly, but I haven't tried a '13+ 1GR-FE manifold yet...

The next hardest part may be getting a decent header/exhaust manifold setup, I made my own, it was a little tricky, but not impossible.
Similarly the Trans side water manifold may need to be modified, again depending on your engine bay.

I'm planning to do another Tacoma this year, using an R150F bellhousing and an R154 Transmission for a better 3rd gear/2WD, and hopefully this one will see some G's.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The next hardest part may be getting a decent header/exhaust manifold setup, I made my own, it was a little tricky, but not impossible.
Similarly the Trans side water manifold may need to be modified, again depending on your engine bay.
This may or may not fit your particular chassis

This should fit nearly anything - and it is dirt cheap. But it has the BS bung on one runner only. Yes I know, you pay what you get for.

One more option

·
Registered
47 Posts
This may or may not fit your particular chassis

This should fit nearly anything - and it is dirt cheap. But it has the BS bung on one runner only. Yes I know, you pay what you get for.

One more option
I actually bought the cheap AF option to test fit with, the RH side is completely NG with starter location, the LH side is close, and could be modified to fit, but does not clear the slave/steering column in the truck.

I'm still curious about the motor failure you alluded to earlier if theres any info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts