MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an MR2 for several months now. I just found one for a price I like, but just ran a Carfax and it shows 2 accident reports for front end impacts.

I know what to look for, for evidence of repairs, but how much damage is too much damage?

R

·
0 Posts
This is not MR2 specific but you can measure the distance from the left and right strut top and compare it to a collision free car, it would indicate suspension/frame damage if it's different. Look for wierd tire tread wear, if it can't be aligned it means theres still some suspension damage. If the hood/lights/bumper align perfectly it's usually a good job.
If a repair has been done by a professional shop it should look "like new" and might be worth it.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
You can get the measurements out of the BGB body specs section.

Unless the previous owner(s) cheaped out on the body repairs, almost all body shops line up the panels to within 1mm of spec, so it will be difficult to determine the degree of damage.

I have bought two MR2's that were previously hit, one was broadsided and the entire side reconstructed. Couldn't tell any difference between driving that and my unwrecked 2.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Take it to a body shop and have them check it out. They'll be able to measure more reference points -and probably more accurately- than you can by climbing under the car. If they're a reputable shop that doesn't think they'll get any other business from you (i.e., they're not looking for more work), you should get an honest opinion. That alone would be worth the cost as a bad job may mean you buy a car that has all sorts of expensive problems down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I can get the car to a shop when I look at it, but I've been given instructions on to see if the frame is too out of whack. If I can detect any problems I'm gonna walk from this car. That sucks though, still trying to find a decent 2 for less than 7k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts