MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since i bought my works and they arrived looking pretty ______. so i decided to take them completely apart and start from scratch.

well i have spent the last 3-4 weeks cleaning them up and taking them apart and researching the crap out of them to get the torque values and what sealent to use. i hand polished each lip to a mirror shine. i can literally pic my teeth in the lips, i also hand polished each individual bolt...there are 36 per wheel. that took me alone about a week. and with my trusty sand paper and a little eblow grease i sanded off the old powder caot which may i add was a PITA. i ended up using duplicolor high perfomance wheel coating for the gunmetal spokes and painted the inside of the wheel black.

well here is the before pics and what the after pics look like. i only have the two wheel pictured done right now.
BEFORE:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EEdude said:
looks like your dog dislikes it.. hahahah
hahaha. i am a nerd i take alot of pics of my dog so i say cheese for him. so he knows right when the flash is going to go off and he always sqints. i dont have one pic of him with his eyes all the way open.

H

·
0 Posts
beautiful!
I just ordered my Work Equips a few days ago as well. what sizes and offsets did you get? I'm going w/ a gold face on mine most likely.
where did you get yours from? I hope mine are cleaner than that. haha

H

·
0 Posts
o also what did you use to polish the lip and bolts? and whats the sealant and torque #s to use on teh bolts just in case i need to do the same. haha

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i ordered mine from rbmotoring.com. they have an excellent selection of JDM wheels and other random parts.

but i went with a 17X7 +35 for the front and a 17X8 +35 in the rear. the tires i went with a 215/40/17 for the front and a 235/40/17 for the rear.

as for the torque and sealant.: the torque was 24 NM (newton meters) and the sealent i am going to use "The Right stuff" rtv silicone. this stuff is heat resistant, water reasistant, vibration resitant and will hold up to 250 psi supposedly.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and to polish the lips, i used "PEEK" its in an aresole can. i squirted that on the lip and rubbed the ____ out of the lip with a real fine steel wool. then after the tarnesh was gone and the lip was shiney i used newspaper and glass cleaner.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you guys really want i can do a write-up a how-to on refurbishing 3-piece rims.

from: ARRIVE, INSPECT, CLEAN, POLISH, PAINT, RE-ASSEMBLE, AND SEAL.

I have done my fair share of re-furbishing crappy wheels from the wheels on my rsx and both my crx's

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
kandie said:
If you guys really want i can do a write-up a how-to on refurbishing 3-piece rims.

from: ARRIVE, INSPECT, CLEAN, POLISH, PAINT, RE-ASSEMBLE, AND SEAL.

I have done my fair share of re-furbishing crappy wheels from the wheels on my rsx and both my crx's
youll be doing a lot of people a favor by doing so. throw in some key words in there too so itll be easier to search.

btw.. Nice wheels!

H

·
0 Posts
Those are the Work Equips.
a write up would be sweet.
Mine i ordered are 17x8 and 17x9.is fine steel wool like a brillo pad? same thing for the bolts?
O the 1's i have coming though are the equip DDC's, newer version. they are supposed to be mint but we'll see.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The only equips I've seen are the polished ones w/ the flat spokes. But these have the equips centercap and look similar to professors. I'm no wheel whore so I'm pretty clueless. hehe

·
Premium Member
13,212 Posts
EEdude said:
looks like your dog dislikes it.. hahahah
pugs always look like they dislike whatever it is they are looking at :p

Wheels look nice, congrats on the restoration.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts