MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i think i found my transmission leek, does this look right?

this piece is located right behind the driver seet fire wall in the engine bay, right by the motor/transmission mount.
what is this>? i took off a metel piece conected to that was a rubber boot thing, when i took it off {looking at it oil was comming
from it} a bunch of oil came from it. any idea how much this will cost to fix? what it it? what is involved taking it out? will it give me clutch pressure again?
need help ASAP. thanks guys:D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That is the clutch slave cylinder. You should be able to pick up a rebuild kit for it at your local parts store for less than $10. You should be able to find instructions for taking it out in the online BGB, it's not that tough. Once it's reassembled and you've got your motor mount sorted out again yes, you will have clutch pressure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Gairloch said:
That is the clutch slave cylinder. You should be able to pick up a rebuild kit for it at your local parts store for less than $10. You should be able to find instructions for taking it out in the online BGB, it's not that tough. Once it's reassembled and you've got your motor mount sorted out again yes, you will have clutch pressure.

....remember to bleed the clutch.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys your the best :D
what do i need to buy for a re-buld kit? or should i just replace it from toyota? what is involved re-bulding it?
thanks again :D

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I would just buy a new one. I found out where my local Toyota dealership sources their parts from and picked up a slave cylinder directly from their store. It was about $35.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Just to be overly technical... you have a clutch fluid leak, not a transmission leak.

Buy the clutch slave cylinder new, find out what made it fail like this, then replace it and bolt it down properly. The last step is to bleed the system. A shop would be able to do this easily and may save you some headache.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
MISTER2 said:
When you bleed the slave cylinder...use a MityVac? you will be done in 15 minutes...rather than a 2 hour exercise in futility trying to do in manually.
I did mine the old fashioned way in ~30 mins. (once i figured out what i was doing wrong, see *)

1. Flush the system completly
2. Pump with your foot ~20 times , or untill slight pressure in pedal.
*3. With pressure built and the pedal down , open the valve and push the lever coming from the tranny back into the slave cylinder. Close valve (This will remove all air in the slave)
4. Grab ahold of the pedal with your hand and pump it as fast as you can for about ~30 seconds , or untill your arm feels like goo. Bleed. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
5. Repeat #4. but dont bleed off the preasure.

Save yourself about 40 bucks too.

* - This is where i went wrong , i was pumping with my foot but getting nothing, did this for about an hour. Tried this step and voila . worked.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
If you buy a new slave cylinder, you might as well buy a new master cylinder too (the same goes for doing the rebuilt kit). Once you do that, you clutch pedal will feel different. It'll have more feel, and won't feel so vague.

It's nice.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i re-threded the bolt holes last night, i will get all the parts in tomorow... quick question though, how much clutch fluid am i going to need? and where do i put the fluid into the car? where can i get a mityVac? price?
thanks again for all the help :)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I used dot-3 or 4 (thinking 4). Comes in a big bottle (had it laying around) i only used about 1/4 of hte bottle. the master cylinder is under the the platic in the front ( i belive) its on the far left , might have to take off the brace to get to it. MityVac can be had at autozone, but its not the same name , look for a pistol grip / water hose spray looking thing with a gauge on the top. ~40 bucks? i think , i never really looked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.