MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

While trying to find the source of my oil leak (with no luck so far) I was wiping off some oily grime in that area when my finger hit that bolt and I felt it turn. It was very loose. Looks like it helps connect the engine block to the transaxle. I tightened it down to maybe 30ft-lbs and will check it again in a few days.

Is it something indicative of a bigger problem? Or just sloppy work by the engine swapper(s)? [Hi Randy! ;)]

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i dont think i even have that bolt on my car :D

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a small leak, a minor annoyance. Still it'd be nice to have one car for once in my life that had no leaks (;)) and my MK1 is harder to work on (can't find the leak on that one either).

I checked the dizzy, or what little I could since it's pretty well hidden on the 5SFE. Looks like there might be some semi-fresh oil underneath it but it's hard to tell. The top of the engine is all fine, no valve cover leaks or anything. The oil pan does have again "semi" fresh oil along the rear edge but no clear drips. In fact just now there are no drops of oil on the floor so either it fixed itself (unlikely) or I just didn't drive it hard enough since cleaning the garage floor.

Looks like some of the oil is dripping off of the exhaust just after the flex pipe. But again, nothing really fresh.

I think I need to have the bottom of the engine bay steam cleaned but I've no idea where to get that done.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
that bolt will not do anything...
as far as the steem cleaning, just take it to the car wast {do it your self one} spray the engine down very well... get down by the header really well and all over the block, where you think the oil is........ after it drys just drive it home and let it sit { a day lator} take another look, thats how i found mine anyway and got a kinda clean engine out of it...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts