MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
The $169 unit is a roll bar, not a roll cage.

Be sure to check what material(s) it is made of. The price makes me think it is made of cheap unnacceptable material. The other roll bar/cage threads will tell you the right materials to look for.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
They offer a rollbar and a roll cage. It is NHRA but they list that they can meet SCCA requirements. I am assuming that is for an additional expense. Somebody should give it a try. You still would need to get this into your car, so it is not really a $250 cage, unless you can weld.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
That is safedrives, one of my new sponsors :)
The reason the price is apparently so low, is that all you get is the BARS.
It needs to be assembled, welded and installed.

Also, I'm not sure what is up with the prices at the top of the page with the first 2 images, but I suspect if you scroll down those prices are probably more appropriate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well shoot. AS far as assembling...I am pretty experienced with welding so that wouldn't be a problem. But if the materials aren't that great then I don't see a point in buying it. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
SCCA/NHRA have specific materials requirements.
As far as I know, SafeDrives had these made to their specs.
I would check the rule books and then ask SafeDrives.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
damn, add 210 ontop of that price for DOM tubing.. i guess thats still not too bad though.

does anyone even allow ERW tubing anymore? i remember every rules thing i looked at specified no ERW tubes...

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Both SCCA & NHRA allow the use of mild steel, but the diameters have to be bigger.
If you use chromoly you can get a much thinner diameter.

Here's the NHRA rules:

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
DOM is mild steel. its a manufacturering process, as is ERW. "drawn over mandrel" as opposed to "electric resistance welded" ERW has a seam (stress riser) where dom is just straight tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts