MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went to my first track day with this setup - 6kg/mm front/8kg/mm rear with the front slight raised slightly higher (laziness). Car was AMAZING on the track - 0 snap oversteer and total control over lift off oversteer; in fact I was lift oversteering every other corner because it was just faster. I only nearly lost it once on a slalom section but I counter-steered as you would in a normal FR setup and recovered instantly - I feel that Wilhelm Racing's kit is the sole reason why the car was so controllable. I was able to pass every car I came up on in my group (including a couple modded s2000s and a turbo BRZ) just from gaining in the corners, even with inexperience with the course - the car was just able to take tighter lines and gripped so well. At the end of the day I was about middle of the pack including the advanced drivers. Everyone reading this should definitely get this kit!

The fortune auto coilovers are very decent - the ride is only slightly stiffer than stock and it takes bumps like nothing. Only complaint is the high end link slot on the rear body - couldn't even use my ksport endlinks so I ran without a RSB.

·
Premium Member
13,335 Posts
:thumbup

Love hearing about people using my parts as they are intended (on the track!), and really experiencing the benefits.

As far as the rear sway bar goes, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't run a rear bar on my car either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - though it really still helps on the street - I have yet to experience any bump steer and the car never feels unstable even under acceleration during turns. I'm still deciding on the bar as Campos recommended it - waiting for ImportRP to update me about an exchange/return on the ksport endlinks.

BTW when installing Alex's kit - rent the adjustable pitman puller and the big ball joint press from autozone. This is all you need to remove the front knuckle bearings/rear knuckle bearings and install the rear steel stud replacement.
:thumbup

Love hearing about people using my parts as they are intended (on the track!), and really experiencing the benefits.

As far as the rear sway bar goes, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't run a rear bar on my car either.

·
NEW PARTS - MR2Heaven.com
4,524 Posts
Glad to hear your positive experiences. I myself have had very similar experiences with the wilhelm correction kit. The kit also inspires a lot of confidence which i never really had with the sw20. On the track, i had total control of lift off oversteer and on days if i feel brave enough, power induced oversteer on sweepers :p. The car was easily able to pass every car in my group (Beginners group as it was my first track day). At one time, i was surprised at how i was easily keeping up with a e90 m3 Lol. Car also feels safer in general even in triple digit speeds whether its a sweeper or a long patch of road which is nice.

Also here is a video of my first track event... Oversteer fun at 0:57, 6:30 & 8:35 seconds of the video. I am itching to go back to the track one day haha.

Nonetheless, thank you for making such a great product!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Glad to hear your positive experiences. I myself have had very similar experiences with the wilhelm correction kit. The kit also inspires a lot of confidence which i never really had with the sw20. On the track, i had total control of lift off oversteer and on days if i feel brave enough, power induced oversteer on sweepers :p. The car was easily able to pass every car in my group (Beginners group as it was my first track day). At one time, i was surprised at how i was easily keeping up with a e90 m3 Lol. Car also feels safer in general even in triple digit speeds whether its a sweeper or a long patch of road which is nice.

Also here is a video of my first track event... Oversteer fun at 0:57, 6:30 & 8:35 seconds of the video. I am itching to go back to the track one day haha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--UX3JdnLk

Nonetheless, thank you for making such a great product!
Kinda off topic, but what mods do you have? I'm pretty heavily modified but haven't had the chance to track my car yet so I'm curious.

·
4,524 Posts
Hi,

I'll try to cover the relevant ones.

Tires: Michellin Pilot Super Sports 225/45/17, 245/40/17
Suspension: BC Racing 5/8KG Coilovers, only rear stock rear sway bar, no strut braces(felt it gave less time and response to catch/sense oversteer), polyurethane bushings, Wilhelmraceworks geometry correction kit.
-3F, -2.5 R camber (at -2.5F,-2.5R now, better braking and stability as i was rarely using outside edge of tire)
Engine: Unopened GEN3 3SGTE, stock intercooler, TCS motorsports GT3071R turbo kit, 10-12PSI (est maybe 220-240whp due to hot 85+ degree day, tcs phoenix power replica 85mm dual exhaust, rotella t6 10w30 oil.
Drivetrain: ATS stage 4.5 clutch, crw clevis bearing mod, OEM Lsd e153, redline mt90 gear fluid.
Brakes: Tcs motorsports Front Wilwood BBK with MK4 Supra front rotors, wilwood BP20 entry track pads, RX8 Sport suspension front rotors rear, poterfield R4s(iirc) rear pads, ATE Typ200 Brake fluid.
Interior: sparco circuit seat, willans 5/6 pt harness(both help improve overall feel of what car is doing/going during corners and helps cancel some of the g forces your body feels), trd short shifter along with a bunch of shifter mods (solid base bushings, spherical cable bushings)

For first timer, I would get an alignment, good sticky tires, good brake fluid and pads(no oreilly stuff), good motor oil, oil temp gauge. Also start off with lower tire pressures(i learned that my tires gripped a whole lot better when set at pressure ~28psi).

If i were to redo my car again, i'd probably go for a 235/255 40 width tire setup with better tires, gt28rs or billet ct20b turbo(for low end power and a tune for 8k rpm as my current power band is very narrow (4-7k rpm).. Also an oil cooler, tmic or a2w ic and more power would be nice.

Regardless, mods are just nice to have. IMO, just brakes, tires, fluids and basic vehicle dynamics knowledge will bring you significant amounts of fun.

·
4,524 Posts
My track friend/instructor told me to try out a square tire setup or 245/255 tire size one day for faster car rotation and response. Maybe one day when i get better, i will give that a try too... Anyone have thoughts on that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
My track friend/instructor told me to try out a square tire setup or 245/255 tire size one day for faster car rotation and response. Maybe one day when i get better, i will give that a try too... Anyone have thoughts on that?
I've always heard that a square setup tends to provide a more neutral experience. Really the reason that most MR2 owners run a staggered setup is for looks, and from my minimal experience I would say that the layout could benefit from a large front tire to minimize understeer.

·
Premium Member
13,335 Posts
I've always heard that a square setup tends to provide a more neutral experience. Really the reason that most MR2 owners run a staggered setup is for looks, and from my minimal experience I would say that the layout could benefit from a large front tire to minimize understeer.
Out of curiosity, where are you hearing that? MR2 people, or just general track people? Don't forget that an awful lot of track cars are front engine / RWD (BMW, Miata, Mustang, 350z, FRS/BRZ, etc, etc). In that case, with near 50/50 weight distribution (or perhaps even a front weight bias), a square tire setup makes total sense.

On the other hand, with the MR2 and it's rear weight bias, the extra tire in the rear makes sense. I doubt you will find many people advocating square tire setups on a Porsche 911!

At the end of the day, it's all about maximizing grip, which starts with getting as much (sticky) tire under the car as possible (within reason, and without ruining the balance of course). On the MR2, where an extra inch of wheel / tire easily fits under the rear fenders relative to the fronts, and with the rear weight bias allowing you to really make use of the extra rear tire, it makes good sense to run the staggered setup, in my opinion. You can easily tune the alliance with shock settings, sway bars, springs, etc.

That said, I wouldn't advocate over doing it! My old car I ran a 235/255, and it worked great. On my new car I initially tried a 235/275 (actual rear tire measurement closer to 295), and it really did feel like it was lacking front end grip. Increased the front to 255 (actual measurement more like 265), and it's back to feeling very well balanced.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Out of curiosity, where are you hearing that? MR2 people, or just general track people? Don't forget that an awful lot of track cars are front engine / RWD (BMW, Miata, Mustang, 350z, FRS/BRZ, etc, etc). In that case, with near 50/50 weight distribution (or perhaps even a front weight bias), a square tire setup makes total sense.

On the other hand, with the MR2 and it's rear weight bias, the extra tire in the rear makes sense. I doubt you will find many people advocating square tire setups on a Porsche 911!

At the end of the day, it's all about maximizing grip, which starts with getting as much (sticky) tire under the car as possible (within reason, and without ruining the balance of course). On the MR2, where an extra inch of wheel / tire easily fits under the rear fenders relative to the fronts, and with the rear weight bias allowing you to really make use of the extra rear tire, it makes good sense to run the staggered setup, in my opinion. You can easily tune the alliance with shock settings, sway bars, springs, etc.

That said, I wouldn't advocate over doing it! My old car I ran a 235/255, and it worked great. On my new car I initially tried a 235/275 (actual rear tire measurement closer to 295), and it really did feel like it was lacking front end grip. Increased the front to 255 (actual measurement more like 265), and it's back to feeling very well balanced.

I was referring to most track people, the MR layout normally doesn't benefit from a square setup, but it obviously varies by situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts