MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll make this short. I recently had my audio shop install some 6.5 inch speakers in my mkII. They put the boxes for the equip I bought in my trunk and I drove off. When putting the boxes away, I noticed the component set box was for a 5.25 inch component set instead of the 6.5 that I had bought.

I called them, and they said that a 6.5 inch component set wouldn't fit, so they stuck in the 5.25 inchers. They did admit that they should have told me what they were doing first with the product substitution. They said that I would have to cut the metal around the speaker housing inside my door to make the 6.5 inch set fit. I tried to tell them that many fellow mkII owners have done 6.5 inch speakers in the doors with no problems, but I wasn't sure how.

Well, the shop called back and told me that they would be willing to remedy the situation by installing the speakers that I had ordered. This is happening tomorrow morning, so I need advice quick:

2 questions

1. will the crossover need to be changed also, going from the crossfire sx 5.0 to the sx 6.0 component set? I have a feeling they're going to want to pop the door off, stick new speakers in, and call it a day, but a new set of speakers is going to require re-tuning and a new crossover set, right?

2. is there a trick to installing 6.5 inch speakers in the doors of an MKII that I have forgotten about, or is cutting my door necessary. I'm always weary to make changes to my vehicle that will be unreversable. Stock 93's are hard to come by these days.

pictures are welcome too :) I'd like to have some info I can give to the shop tomorrow telling them what's up.

thanks
-dan
(so much for keeping that short... i type too fast for my own good sometimes)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm not exactly sure about the first question, but the second, you have to make a spacer, by cutting a piece of mdf into a ring and screw it into the door, then screw the component into the spacer. Then you will have to cut the inside trims of the door becuase it will only fit for a 5.25" and smaller, but you will not notice it if its cut. Easy install. The shop was just lazy. You should have done that yourself.

http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2audio.html#wooferspacer

here is a step by step with pics... it was a sticky on this forum.

·
Registered
851 Posts
First ?, it will most likely work, but check with the manufacturer. Really depends on how you are with audio. The speakers are probably set to 4 ohms, so the crossover will be set to 4 ohms too, but I'm guessing the frequency ranges are going to be different with 5 1/4 and 6 1/2. If it matters to you, then change the x-over. Or easier way is just to go with an active setup. =)

Second ?, I did the solution mr2insance posted. Make a spacer out of mdf. Had to cut a lot of the stock panel trim, and even some of the door. I installed a 7" driver for the components. The cutting of the door panel could work solely, but I had to do both because of the mounting depth of my speaker, the size of the magnet, and the size of the speaker.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCrew7i2 said:
but I'm guessing the frequency ranges are going to be different with 5 1/4 and 6 1/2. If it matters to you, then change the x-over. Or easier way is just to go with an active setup. =)
that is my main concern. I want my speakers to sound their best.

I don't know much, but i assume the crossover sends the high stuff to the tweeters and the low stuff to the main speaker. It sounds like I should insist they also use the new crossover with the new speakers.

By active setup, I assume you're meaning sending un-filtered audio to the component set? Wouldn't that cause the whole setup to sound like crap?

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
Note that some manufacturers use the same crossovers for their 5-1/4 and 6-1/2 sets, since the tweeters are often the same. Try to dig up the manufactuer's specs if you can, just so you know going in. Depending on where they put the crossovers, it may not be too much of a job to swap them out if they are different.

hope this helps,
-Stephen M

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
i was too impatient to cut MDF spacers so all i did was get 1.5in self tapping screws and line the speaker up (2 screws went into the plastic screw tabs and i had to drive the other 1 into the door) after you get them in enough to hold it, go in a circle tightening it until its tight and even with the door, and didnt have to do any cutting on my door panel

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stephen M said:
Note that some manufacturers use the same crossovers for their 5-1/4 and 6-1/2 sets, since the tweeters are often the same. Try to dig up the manufactuer's specs if you can, just so you know going in. Depending on where they put the crossovers, it may not be too much of a job to swap them out if they are different.

hope this helps,
-Stephen M

Well, they're doing the work to fix their mistake. They can do it right this time. I'll have to check with crossfire tomm morning to see about the crossover settings between the 2 sets.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only issue I had is the fact that I should have been consulted with the case of the 6.5 inch speakers not fitting, before they stuck in the 5.25's. They didn't want to permenantly alter the vehicle without my knowledge.

For anybody interested, they opened the vehicle back up this morning, and within an hour, they switched my 5.25 inch to a 6.5 inch version of the same, and then actually offered (and I accepted) to upgrade me to a coaxial version of the 6.5 inch speaker at no additional charge.

In the end, it turns out that the 6.5 inch coax speaker was a direct drop in, it sounds infinitely better than before with 2 tweeters on each side now, and I couldn't be happier.

The pro's aren't perfect, they sometimes make mistakes like us... but when the pro's make mistakes, it doesn't cost me anything extra to fix it.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
You have to use a spacer, the window would get in the way with cutting.

·
Registered
267 Posts
WoLLy said:
By active setup, I assume you're meaning sending un-filtered audio to the component set? Wouldn't that cause the whole setup to sound like crap?
Active refers to a powered crossover that you can tune(crossover frequency, cutoff slope) to the speakers you choose to use. Passives are those boxes that you normally see that have no tuning ability(or very little on some). This route tends to be more expensive an difficult, but better sound can be achieved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.