MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i tried a quick search but had no luck :(

i know the mr2.com website has instructions on how to do this mod... but i just wanted to clarify a few things

"If you want to connect to the running light (tail light) circuit, this is best accomplished by making some splices in the wiring harness. The harness is below the relay panel, and you must unwrap some of the tape from around the harness. Follow the red w/ yellow stripe wire from the relay panel to where it splices into the red w/ yellow wire leading to the headlights (splice point B6). Cut the wire leading to the relay panel at the splice. Now, within the same harness, find the solid green wire leading to the front running lights. (Note that there is another solid green wire that runs to the front right and is part of the headlight retraction system. You do *not* want that wire. Either check the wire with a volt meter to make sure it gets power with the taillight circuit, or look for a splice in the wire -- the taillight circuit is the only green wire with a splice within the harness.) Splice the red w/ yellow wire from the fog light relay into this green wire. Be sure to make a solid connection (solder it if you can). Tape up the connections, then re-wrap the harness with the electrical tape and re-attach the relay panel."

this is the correct fog light mod for the 91 mr2's correct?

i should just completely cut of the point where these 2 wires meet? and they will both be the same color correct?

okay here im assuming i have to use the wire that i cut, strip it and tap into the correct green wire? also what happens if i accidentaly tap into the wrong green wire? also how much slack is there in the green wire?

one more question, but has nothing to do with the mod... only the fog lights

when i installed the fogs in my na, the whole wiring was already there :), and everything worked fine when i turned them on (while not mounted on the car) but once i mounted them the drivers side fog wont turn on :(... any ideas on what it can be or what i can do?

thanx guys and sorry for this lengthy thread

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok just to clarify (i dont want to burn anything out)...so its only one wire (red whire with yellow stripe) that you ground at the fusebox... the end that is connected to the relay? and then that end of the install is done correct?
the second and final step is to go behind the foglight switch and cut the red and black wire... now do i use wire that is at the switch end (the wire that comes out the plug) or the lead wire end (that leads into the frunk?)? ... which ever side of that wire gets spliced (tapped) into the (solid?) green wire? and the job is done?
thanx
-gsus

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yup, just the end of the red/yellow from the relay to ground is all you need at the fusebox.

Use the wire from the switch end.

Thats all there is to it. The end at the fuse box becomes the ground for the circuit. If the interior lights are on, which come on with the tail lights, then the the relay has a power connection on one side and ground on the other.. this closes the relay and the fogs come on. If the interior lights aren't on, you end up with the ground at the fusebox and a "floating ground" at the switch, no power can flow, so the relay stays open.

gsus said:
also 1 question i came accross last night... will it affect the fog lights if you dim the interior lights?
Very good insight! You ar correct, with the lights dim, the relay has power and ground, but not enough of a difference to trigger the relay. When I did this, I didn't really care because I never use dimmed lights...

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i came accross a possible solution to the dimmer problem, cant you extend that wire and tap into the parking lights (green wire - the one thats used when you are installing an alarm) at the kickpanel and not have to worry about the dimmer?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't see why not. Really you can splice it with anything that comes alive when then the parking lights are on. For me, I just wanted the job to be as easy as possible. Since the foglight switch is out to make the circuit, I figured I would just connect it there..

Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts