MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can get a fm transmitter that plugs into my cigarette lighter charge point that's compatible with the original head unit that's in the vehicle ( see pic ) I don't want to change the head unit cos I want to keep the car original as I can , many thanks Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
They're all compatible it's just a FM radio signal being put out by the device just like you'd get from a radio station.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This Toyota stereo that's in the car now only plays one station that's hardly worth listening too , will the transmitter allow me to play more stations through the stereo

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
This Toyota stereo that's in the car now only plays one station that's hardly worth listening too , will the transmitter allow me to play more stations through the stereo
Open the boot and chuck an FM amplifier between the radio antenna cable and your power antenna assembly.

They cost about $5 and made a huge difference in mine.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
No the FM transmitter will not amplify the stations around you, just transmit your "aux" device over FM radio waves to be received by your FM radio.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
As I remember, the OE FM receiver was pretty good. It got all of the local stations without even raising the antenna. If you are only getting one station, then either your OE receiver is busted, or there is only one station on the air.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've not often seen an OEM CD player on an 80s MR2!

My car was having meh reception and it turned out the antenna was never plugged in the aftermarket head unit. Otherwise an amplifier as others have said.

Alternatively, I've heard there is a unit you can put inline on the antenna to give the unit Bluetooth, and you can run Pandora or something off your phone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think I'm gonna just leave it as it is as I'm not tech savvy at all , thanx for all ya help everyone

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think your radio is shot. Most Toyotas have a part number on the face. My Camry has an A56840. United radio wanted $550 to realign the laser. I bought one off eBay for $35 and the CD player works! Changing a stock Toyota radio takes maybe ten minutes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is shot pal , i put a cd in it the other day & it didn't play , it just spat it back out at me , i tried a different cd & that did the same , thanks for your reply

1 - 13 of 13 Posts