MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a long time now, and after watching several videos, my friends and i were wondering which bov created the fluttering sound that is common in a lot of japanese racing videos, including the Hot Version series of Videos? Many drag supras also have this bov sound?

I've listened to clips from the Greddy RS, S, R, the Blitz DD, HKS SSQV and RACE, and many others and none of them have any fluttering effects....

I read somewhere that the fluttering sound is only a byproduct of compressor surge, and not a sound created dirrectly by the bov, is there any merit to this or is there a legitmate bov that makes this sound? I figured the 3SGTE turbo section would be the best place to ask this question.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have an older version of the HKS SSQ and it makes the fluttering noise that you're talking about. Generally, you don't want it to though. That fluttering noise is compressor surge. Just ilttle 5psi bangs against your turbo... not something you really want. It'll eat down at the life of your turbo. Generally I rev right before I shift if I'm not in boost that way I stay away from it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeffry, thanks for confirming the reports i read about on compressor surge.

"The place to ask this question is "How to Make my Car
as Rice as Possible" thread. Go read up on the BOV info here on MR2OC,
then decide if you want to buy a 'cool' noise :thumbdown or spend your
money on real HP :thumbup . Trust me, the HP will make your car sound
cool, not the BOV. Timeslips are heard louder than any BOV. "

Wishiowned - nice try on editing your post quickly, but if you want to be a dick about it, you dont need to bring your trashy opinions into this thread. I asked a question, i dont need a lecture on power. I've already invested in power adders such as larger turbo, IC, ECU upgrade, downpipe, exhaust, boost controll, and.. well the list goes on, so if im curious about a fluttering sound that i like, then i can damn well ask about it without getting a lecture from you about your personal opinion on bovs. You can do everyone that came to this thread looking for a result to my inqury a huge favor and click the x button at the top of your screen instead of producing a garbage post that nobody wants to read. Feel better now that you've posted your "hate on bovs, so i must be a knowledgable 'tuner'" bandwagon post?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would say, that BOV's are really owners preference. I can't really say as I haven't seen numbers comparing internally circulated BOV's vs. similiar BOV's vented to the atmosphere... but I can't imagine the amount of power being lost being large. On top of that, I'll admit it. I like the whoosh noise. I don't have a body kit, and I don't have chrome in my drivers compartment. No, I'd say my car is very well maintained. But I do like what I like. Should I call you rice if you have an exhaust system? Well, 'nuff said. This isn't an arguement about rice or not.

Yup Nateness, everything I've heard (from various friends and several different types of cars) is that sound is compressor surge. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as long as you don't do it all the time :p. If you want a BOV that makes that sound, the HKS SSQ (older model) does it. WTF, you live in Renton? Do you have AIM or MSN or Yahoo? Let me know... I'm in Seattle.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i have the sard r2d2 bov and it makes that shuttering noise, plus it has never given a problem with low idle or anything else that a lot of other bov seem to do when associated with an mr2....btw, (and im probably opening myself to getting flamed too), i like the sound aswell.....

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
it is the valve starting to close again until pressure builds up and reopens it. it is fine. the point of a BOV is not to release a lot of air, but to release pressure, so there isn't as much pressure hitting turbo. the old celicas didn't have BPV's and they were fine without one. the main thing they're there for is to keep the turbo spinning, not the myth that they get damaged from not being able to release pressure. if that happened, then building boost would harm them too. pressure acts on every fin of the turbo with equal force, so it can't be pushed one way and have bearing failure. just don't worry about it bro.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turbo2me said:
i have the sard r2d2 bov and it makes that shuttering noise, plus it has never given a problem with low idle or anything else that a lot of other bov seem to do when associated with an mr2....btw, (and im probably opening myself to getting flamed too), i like the sound aswell.....
I've had the SARD R2D2 BOV on my car before, and I've heard it a few times on a friend's turbo ae86, but we've never heard the fluttering sound with this bov.... do you have a clip?

·
Banned
9,290 Posts
Ive notice stiffer spring rate cause more fluttering(Tial, a tightened SSQ, older SSQ)

WishIOwned1-"Timeslips are heard louder than any BOV" was this necessary? posts like that does not help....sighs

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Fluttering BOV is not even a bov. It's compressor surge. Run no BOV and you'll hear it. If your BOV doesnt open up you'll hear compressor surge as well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figure that if there is a fluttering sound, based off of the conventional bov design, that would imply that the spring would be oscilating very quickly in a rapid motion... if it vents enough pressure quickly, it would avoid compressor surge, but i've never heard of a bov with an oscilating spring.. well a spring that oscilates enough to allow the chamber to vent.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I was wondering about this as well, I almost posted the identical question.

I have heard this sound on a lot of supra's doing their warm up burnouts, I have quite a few vids with that sound.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Nateness said:
I've had the SARD R2D2 BOV on my car before, and I've heard it a few times on a friend's turbo ae86, but we've never heard the fluttering sound with this bov.... do you have a clip?
\
i do not have a clip....but it only seems to do it when im boosting past 13 psi, so yeah you are right it doesn't do it all the time...hey and that "older" hks valve that every is saying makes that sound does. i had one on a turbo integra and thats the only sound i ever heard heres a pic:

·
Registered
622 Posts
read this, too... even if u may have already figured out what you needed to. i had a similar question that i posted over on alltrac.net. there's a link for a streetfire.net video of a 240sx with a wicked 'fluttering' sound. everyone over there seems to agree that it's an external wastegate.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11493

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
are you sure that's surging? For sure that isnt the waste gate.... Does anyone have any sound clips/experience w/ that bov on their MR2?

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Mine flutters like mad, and it drives me absolutely nuts LOL. It usually happens when I'm on a low boost map (1 bar) and short shifting. I am trying to adjust my SSQV a bit softer to prevent this from happening lol...we have the opposite problem!! :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts