MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What fluids are recommended for the following: knowing that folks have different ideas. Glad to get a consensus idea on things.*

oil
transmission fluid
Differential fluid
coolant
power steering fluid
brake fluid
Clutch fluid

·
Registered
215 Posts
The only ones I would do anything specific is comment just Toyota long life (red stuff) and trans fluid use redline shockproof or mt90. Otherwise, pick your other fluids as you see fit. Engine oil is going to lead to the dumbest debate on history.

·
Registered
917 Posts
To be clear, lightweight shockproof in trans (I’m running a 75% MT90 25% LWSP and it feels good).

PS fluid - Nissan EHPS Fluid (Toyota no longer makes it, identical chemistry to original).

brake and clutch fluid - Motul RBF600 or Stoptech STR600

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
All good choices. With the coolant make sure you flush system until running clear and use whatever you like to refill. This will take some time to ensure system is burped properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only ones I would do anything specific is comment just Toyota long life (red stuff) and trans fluid use redline shockproof or mt90. Otherwise, pick your other fluids as you see fit. Engine oil is going to lead to the dumbest debate on history.

Coolant?
- -Toyota redlife

Differential fluid?

---Redline GL-5 MT90

Transmission fluid?
--redline GL-4 75w90

Powersteer? How is this fluid?
--
https://primemr2.com/collections/fluids/products/ravenol-e-psf-power-stePowers there?

Brake and clutch fluids? For cuising which is recommended? Not looking to race.

Dot 4 vs dot 3? Stick with toyota dot fluid?

·
Registered
917 Posts
The differential is inside the transmission case - no separate fluid.

I would not use that Ravenol fluid - lots of 3rd gen Spyder guys had issues with rubber seals going when using it.

The higher temp fluids I mentioned barely cost more than some cheap store fluid, and they'll hold up great for 2 years at a stretch even if you get things hot. They're probably cheaper than the Toyota rebranded fluid.

I'll open a can of worms and say a synthetic 0W-40 is the best oil weight/type for a 3S-GTE now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I would not use that Ravenol fluid - lots of 3rd gen Spyder guys had issues with rubber seals going when using it.

The higher temp fluids I mentioned barely cost more than some cheap store fluid, and they'll hold up great for 2 years at a stretch even if you get things hot. They're probably cheaper than the Toyota rebranded fluid.

I'll open a can of worms and say a synthetic 0W-40 is the best oil weight/type for a 3S-GTE now.
Noted so on tranny fluid, use the redline GL-4 or GL-5?

Since transmission fluid, use the redline MT90 (GL-4)?

so brake + clutch? Prefer motul rbf600?

** Noted on the powersteer fluid* will look for the nissan formula.

oil recommended for socal weather? Which brand ? (Yes pandora box has opened)!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Noted so on tranny fluid, use the redline GL-4 or GL-5?

Since transmission fluid, use the redline MT90 (GL-4)?

so brake + clutch? Prefer motul rbf600?

** Noted on the powersteer fluid* will look for the nissan formula.

oil recommended for socal weather? Which brand ? (Yes pandora box has opened)!!!!

Oil choices? Being in socal and more year round warm climate. Looking at 10w-40. Thoughts on amsoil? Mobil 1 synthetic may be an option as well.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Use Mobil1 0W-40, its better in both directions cold and hot compared to the original 5W-30.

If you want one gearbox oil, use Redline MT90.

Can’t go wrong with RBF600 in all the brakes and clutch fluid.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Mobile 1 isn’t what it use to be. Some of the last reviews put it near the bottom. I’m a synthetic Castrol Edge or Vavoline VR1 fan my self. 5w40 weight it perfect for our engines. Amsoil & Royal Purple also make great oil. Just depends on your supplier & costs.

On trans it’s LWSP , hands down best. Other products are good but wear out much sooner than the shockproof.

Can of worms is now open.

Jimb

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mobile 1 isn’t what it use to be. Some of the last reviews put it near the bottom. I’m a synthetic Castrol Edge or Vavoline VR1 fan my self. 5w40 weight it perfect for our engines. Amsoil & Royal Purple also make great oil. Just depends on your supplier & costs.

On trans it’s LWSP , hands down best. Other products are good but wear out much sooner than the shockproof.

Can of worms is now open.

Jimb
Where in USA are you located? I figure someone in Pittsburgh will use diff oil vs a socal MR2 owner. Syn Amsoil and Castrol are ones I would definitely look into (no blends).

Tranny oil redline shock proof? This formula?

I'm looking into doing more cruising and canyon runs. Not so with racing 🙄...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mobil1 is fine. On par with other hydrocracked Group III’s. Edge is about the same. VR1 shouldn’t really be used with a cat last time I looked at it many years ago.

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
150 Posts
Why would having a catalytic converter matter on your choice of oils?
Many oils have lots of zinc and other elements/compounds that will degrade a cat over time. There’s a reason they’re called “racing” oils.
Valvoline's site has a specific page dedicated to this subject. I am only using it because I am in Texas so I am not required to run a cat and ATS specifies it for use with their CT27/CT21/CT16 upgraded turbos. I'm on my first oil change with it and so far so good.
Racing Oil FAQ - Valvoline®
I've always used Mobile1 prior to this. It saved my ass one time when I had an incident with the oil pump pulley.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
Pentafrost A1 is "Toyota Red" antifreeze. They are the mfg that makes it for Toyota. If you can find it, its about 1/2 the price of the stuff in the Toyota labeled jug. Toyota dealership always have their branded stuff in stock, whereas auto parts store seem to be hit or miss where I am when it comes to the Pentafrost stuff.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Can’t go wrong with RBF600 in all the brakes and clutch fluid.
I've heard that RBF600 is extremely hydroscopic and can corrode your barking system if not flushed on a frequent basis. I ran the stuff when I was doing track days and it is amazing, but I did need to get my braking system rebuilt that same year. Maybe related, maybe not.

·
Registered
917 Posts
All brake fluid is hydroscopic. Flushing every 2 years is fine in any brake system, and RBF600 and other 600 F fluids will be good for any sort of spirited driving in that timeframe.

Ive boiled off the shelf DOT4 a couple of times. It is not fun. Using high temp brake fluid for a sports car is a must in my mind, just for safety reasons.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What fluids are recommended for the following: knowing that folks have different ideas. Glad to get a consensus idea on things.*

oil
transmission fluid
Differential fluid
coolant
power steering fluid
brake fluid
Clutch fluid
Here's what I've been using for years:

Transmission
• Red Line Gear Oil 75W 90 NS
Engine Oil
• Amsoil Dominator 15W-50 Racing Oil
Brake Fluid
• Motul RBF 660 Racing Brake Fluid
Coolant
• Toyota brand
• Red Line Water Wetter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's what I've been using for years:

Transmission
• Red Line Gear Oil 75W 90 NS
Engine Oil
• Amsoil Dominator 15W-50 Racing Oil
Brake Fluid
• Motul RBF 660 Racing Brake Fluid
Coolant
• Toyota brand
• Red Line Water Wetter
Appreciate the list and as always everyone has their expertise and experience and taking it all in. Just 1 comment on the tranny oil. Seems most folks recommend the redline MT90 (GL-4) and not the 75w90 NS (GL-5). Attached a link below.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts