MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
^Trickster^ said:
Why do you say that?

The engine is water cooled, and im sure the side vents would supply plenty of intake air and air to my trunk mount
The engine may be water cooled, but I'm pretty sure the alternator, starter, coil(s)/igniter, sensors, hoses, and wires would all prefer that the engine bay not become an oven.

At least run some naca ducts to feed the engine bay.

·
engineer4me
2,730 Posts
Blurvision said:
Most modern cars are pretty sealed off from air flow. Would be cool to see how it holds up with a sealed bottom. I bet it would be just fine! :thumbup
Even fairly sealed off, they have significantly more airflow than an unvented flat body MR2 would.

Lotus Elise has NACA ducts under the body to promote airflow through the engine bay, and it also has side vents like the MR2. The MR2(at least some) also has a turbocharger that helps keep everything nice and toasty.

·
Registered
515 Posts
PS - I think you said you were planning on doing 160mph on the street? At first I had thought you meant kph but I don't think its cool to do that kind of speed on the street. You tag someone and you kill them. You tag a family, you kill them all. I don't care about your ass, the speed is your choice, but on the street you are putting other people in danger. ____ happens; wheels fall off, you hit a bump and lose control and you cost someone dearly. Sure, you'll probably die so you won't have to live with the consequences of killing someones loved one.

Now if you are on the track; cool. More power to you!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I thought about turning the rear quarter windows into vents into the engine bay.

There are alot of things to consider when doing this, I certainly dont have the required knowledge for it yet.

Goddom: I have raced this car for 8 years and been driving for 12, I dont race around built up areas and have never caused an accident in my life. Its idiots who show off in the wrong place at the wrong time that cause accidents and im not among that group of people. I understand your concern.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
We will be doing the same with our sprint cars and will be covering over the engine at the bottom. Any air flow needed through the engine compartment will come through the side vents

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
One thing I've considered with a flat floor too is putting it on stantions about 2-3" below the real floor of the car so I could shape things a bit toward the back of the car and build in a small front diffuser.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What would be the pros and cons of just running the flat underbody until the engine bay and then rolling the panel into the engine bay like the factory panels do?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Only pros. More downforce (less lift) at front and less drag overall...
Are they really that much better than OEM under panels? I read the entire aerodynamics sticky and didn't see a comparison between the two. The consensus is:

1) Border style hood or modified hood with the big opening
2) Relocated Radiator to act as many tiny wings to improve cooling and downforce
3) Front lip and splitter
4) Rear wing and diffuser
5)underbody flat panels.

I'm I missing something? Also didn't the mr2 world speed record used none of these? :surprise:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Stock not that flat and also have air after radiator going down. But of course if you just make only flat underbody it isn't a lot better then stock. This is just one little piece of comlex aero upgrade.

Radiator can't work as "tiny wings" :) Just because air slows down a lot before going to radiator.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The radiator has two different aerodynamic effects: Pressure in front as the air piles up waiting to get through the passageways, and reaction force from the air leaving the radiator. Unfortunately, these effects are in opposite directions and it is not clear which one would dominate. I don't see the radiator being much of a player, either way.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What happens when you slow down flow? Pressure goes up.
Yes, but this pressure works to slow car down and named drag. Just because pressure at top and bottom of each fin is equal. Only other devices such as splitter could use this pressure to create downforce.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think most of the high pressure at front of radiator goes under the car, slowed air vented to top of car = front end lift.
A properly vented hood needs to vent that high pressure efficiently to hood. We lose our front trunk (flow path needs to be large and shaped correctly) when venting hood to reduce lift at the front.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts