MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this mr2 for a Parts car but turned out the underneath is extremely rust free other than the rear quarter panels. I know how to weld but this might be out of my league, My question is can I cut off all the rust for the mean time and once I get it running just got to a body shop? Or what do you guys suggest. I’m open to all options, just trying to slow the growth before I can go to the professionals to get it done right.
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Road surface Motor vehicle

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's pretty brutal. You'll probably be in 10k for a pro to cut out and fix all of the damage, assuming it hasn't made it into the major structure of the car. You're probably looking at a lost cause, unless you really love that particular car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty brutal. You'll probably be in 10k for a pro to cut out and fix all of the damage, assuming it hasn't made it into the major structure of the car. You're probably looking at a lost cause, unless you really love that particular car.
That’s the weird thing everything structural is solid, I am confused why rust there is so bad but the rest of the car is so clean, I might end up cutting it and doing it myself if it’s gonna cost that much, but I’ll try to get a rough estimate.

·
Registered
1992 SW20 5sfe M/T 171k + Miles
7 Posts
You could go with the Vice Grip Garage technique and cut out the rust then rivet some bent junkyard license plates on!

·
Registered
AW11b - 4AGE - C161 6speed trans
15 Posts
I would like to see how that turns out!
Is it street legal to do something like that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to see how that turns out!
Is it street legal to do something like that?
In my state It would be legal. I’m gonna see how it will look this weekend and might weld em in lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts