MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I hurt myself daily
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help1: Thanks to the mechanical expertise of a local quick oil change facility (rhymes with stiffy tube) the threads on the transaxel drain plug are stripped. If memory serves my right, this involves drilling out the hole and screwing in a tread insert. In the past I've done this to heads that could be unbolted. Is there any way of doing this without dropping the tranny? Is there some magic self tapping slightly larger bolt. I really don't want to have to drop the tranny. Any suggestions?

·
I hurt myself daily
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
not a shameless bump

What I'm getting at is, do you think I could drill out the hole and safely flush out all the filings? After that, can an average mechanic line up the tap, screw in the helicoil/time-sert and flush out the shavings again? All while lying flat on your back on the garage floor. I'm sure no matter how much I flush, some particles will remain. Do you think this will irreparable damage the tranny?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you can access it with a drill, you can probably get a good screw extractor in there and give that a try

Buy the most expensive extractors you can, and use the biggest size you can cause they break reaaaaaaaaaaaaally easily

·
I hurt myself daily
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nitsud said:
If you can access it with a drill, you can probably get a good screw extractor in there and give that a try

Buy the most expensive extractors you can, and use the biggest size you can cause they break reaaaaaaaaaaaaally easily
Thanks nitsud (Dustin?), But I can get the bolt out, way too easily. I saw a wire-like thing in the hole that looks like a lame attempt at a helicoil. I wish it was just a stripped bolt. I'm going to call Time-sert tomarrow. I think the bolt is a course thead 18MM x 1.5. Curse you Jiffy Lube!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Oh the inside threads are stripped? Ouch, I dunno how to fix that...

Yes, it's Dustin :)

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
Maybe you can weld on an old socket and take it off that way. That is what i did on my oil drain plug for the engine when i stripped it. I also welded on a socket on a part of the lock key for the rims tunner nuts when i broke of the bit. Worked great every time.

Martin

·
I hurt myself daily
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pat Signorino said:
I'd contact the Quick Oil Change company and demand they get you a new tranny.
Wish I could. This was done almost 2 years ago. The helicoil patch held until I removed the drain plug. No record of the repair on the paperwork. My word against theirs that either I or someone else did it. I'll attempt a repair. If the tranny fries then I'll replace it with a nipon junker. Never fight the unwinable battle.

·
Registered
499 Posts
if they make a helicoil insert that will work on your case, since its already been enlarged and possibly too oversize for a standard helicoil, then just drill out the hole and wind it in. No need to take the tranny apart. You can flush it out with the old fluid, pouring it at the
top hole that some people use as a filler if necessary. Push comes to shove, you could probably just find a larger bolt and drive it in, but i wouldnt recommend it.

ps. its amazing how many people cant read all the way through a post sometimes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts