MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well from searching this forum this seems to be a not-so-uncommon problem and there are little to no pictures documenting the issue and its fix so I figured I'd do my best to lay it all out.

Anyways, this was the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqhFzSCqMZY

You can hear the noise (that I thought was suspension-related until it worsened) and can guess how funky clutch and throttle engagement was.

Also keep in mind that my chassis has absolutely ZERO rust, just Kirk motor mount inserts and 91k miles.

This is what the mount itself looked like:

Side:

Top:

The frame itself:

It is at my friend's shop now who will have a new plate welded on there by the end of the week, I'll post pics of that, too.

Hope this helps some people who have the same issue!

FIXED as of 7/30/10, 3/16" welded on that sumbitch!!!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hmm, I know people have broken mounts off with no Kirk inserts too, but I guess I'll wait to reinforce that area before installing the front Kirk mount. I have no rust on my chassis either, but won't take a chance after seeing your thread. Good luck getting that fixed!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aigochamaloh said:
Hmm, I know people have broken mounts off with no Kirk inserts too, but I guess I'll wait to reinforce that area before installing the front Kirk mount. I have no rust on my chassis either, but won't take a chance after seeing your thread. Good luck getting that fixed!
Do it! It will be cheaper/easier than fixing an issue after the fact, I wish I did.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Before it rips, it shouldn't be that expensive. All they have to do is weld a plate on, although body shops often don't like having to get the cars in the air.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bentheswift said:
Here is a compilation of front motor mount fix threads I posted a while back:
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=3562929

Post 26 has pictures of my fix too.
Didn't see that when searching for it. I'll PM your when I have the "fixed" pictures in this thread and maybe you can add my thread to the original post of the other thread?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts