MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do... what would you guys do?

I'm lookin' at a $3000 budget.

feedback please...

thanks.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If it's just the headgasket I'd fix it instead of buying a swap....I've heard of a lot of cases where the replacement engines are in pretty shabby condition. At least with your current motor you know what you've got and how it's been treated etc etc.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
^^exactly...even with a so called "low mileage" motor..you will never know its true condition until its put into the car..and by then it may be too late....

·
Registered
165 Posts
:thumbup I say make it a Mark 1.5 and put in the 2nd gen engine in the mark I body!

·
Registered
165 Posts
MRQturbo said:
^^his car is a 93 turbo...
My bad... then make it a Mk2.5 and drop in the Lexus IS 300 engine!

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
i would go with a low milage 3 motor. Buy a clip and parts the rest. If you do it right, you will be well under 3 grand in the end.

Just fixing the headgasket is butcher. The head should be re-surfaced. If the gasket was bad for a while, the block may need to be re-surfaced.

I have seen enough butcher re-builds by Toronto re-builders that it just makes me sick. Low milage jdm motor FACTORY SEALED is my best bet.

Martin

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm really leaning towards a newer/used jdm engine. I really only need a long block with a good condition turbo. That's it. As for my current engine, there's too much work that needs to be done and it won't be worth fixing it in the end. Plus, my turbo is going as well. So the best solution now is to find a good condition jdm engine with a decent turbo. It's my only choice. Timberland is also getting work done on his car. He has a 91 turbo and is in need of getting a later model tranny installed. Most likely, we're going to go in on an engine set together and part whatever's left over.

I just hope that I make it within my budget. I don't know if I will because I should do the clutch while everything is out. Not to mention all the other maintenance components like the timing belt, pullies, and etc. All those little things are going to add up on me and that's going to cost a substantial amount more. Damn...

Tell me if I'm being too optimistic...

$2000 for parts
$1000 for labour

I really don't think i'll be able to make my budget...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts