MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I can't find this damn wiper motor anywhere. I've been to all of the local yards and checked all 97-02 Camry's. They are all different or just won't work. I'm sick of this wild goose chase you put me on. What car is this wiper motor actually from?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I can't find this damn wiper motor anywhere. I've been to all of the local yards and checked all 97-02 Camry's. They are all different or just won't work. I'm sick of this wild goose chase you put me on. What car is this wiper motor actually from?
What do you mean they just don't work. The pictures from the original post are gone so we don't have a confirmation of which one to actually look for. I've been meaning to find a scrap yard nearby to find this motor. The wiper speed really is laughable in comparison to a newer car.

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
A RockAuto part search shows two for the OEM part number:

PERFECT FIT Part # WMCA97 {#85110AA020} $76.79
TOYOTA CAMRY (1997 - 2001)

and

A-1 CARDONE Part # 432004 {#3811054G00, 85110AA020, MR971835} Reman $70.79+$25 core
MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER (2003 - 2006)
SUZUKI AERIO (2002 - 2007)
TOYOTA CAMRY (1997 - 2001)

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,451 Posts
UPDATE:
I did this wiper motor swap and it works as advertised. Some notes:
1) You have to get a motor out of a JAPAN production Camry/Solara, NOT an American made Camry. The US produced Camry's have a completely different motor that is in no way compatible with the MR2.
2) I did what Lancebringer suggested, and drilled out the MR2 arm then used a round file to match the conical shape of the spline of the Camry motor. You don't have to get it perfect. The metal of the arm is relatively soft compared to the hardened steel of the motor shaft which has the splines on it. I'll update here if it comes loose.
3) I did get an Altima motor crank arm. However, I chose option (2) because you can't get the factory bushing for the Altima motor crank arm - it's built into the linkage - and I didn't like any of the generic auto parts store replacements I could find.
4) The wiring cross reference in post #1 is spot-on.
5) Whether you use the Altima arm or a redrilled MR2 arm, make sure to install it on the motor clocked correctly, which is pointing to the driver side, when the motor is in the "park" position. Doh.
6) It's a lot of work.

·
Registered
864 Posts
UPDATE:
1) You have to get a motor out of a JAPAN production Camry/Solara, NOT an American made Camry. The US produced Camry's have a completely different motor that is in no way compatible with the MR2.
Did you order the motor new or pick one up at a salvage yard?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
So.... I saved Dracon's original writeup, including the pictures which disappeared :
Below is Dracon’s original post, but I saved the missing pictures years ago, and I filed it away just in case.
I am currently attempting this on my 93 MR2 Turbo, since my wipers are pathetically slow.
I edited it for brevity, and hopefully clarity.

So I had slow windshield wipers like many here and I used the wiper motor off a 2003 Camry ( 85110-AA020 from ebay) - this model year style (2001-2006) will bolt right up to your MR2 bracket. These cars were made by the hundreds of thousands, so parts are widely available.
The earlier Camry motors use a different bolt configuration and won't work. To remove the wiper motor from the chassis involves removing the wiper mechanism from the wiper arm. This will require long nose pliers, and a lot of patience..

There are two problems you'll run into:

1.) The arm that bolts on the motor and spins in a circle on the Camry motor has a larger diameter stud that won't bolt to the MR2 arm, and the Camry one isn't bent correctly and won't work. The solution is to get the arm off a 1998-2001 Altima - this is bent correctly and will fit on the Camry wiper motor. You need the bushing to snap over the Altima arm after you connect your MR2 linkage to it - Autozone sells these and then you can get them for $5. The other way is to re-use the MR2 Arm, and drill it up into an interference fit.. this is what I did. Note that the mating shaft is a tapered spline, so this is risky.
[The right way would be with an arbor press and a suitable tapered spline tool, which everyone has in their toolbox at all times /sarc.]

2.) The electrical plug on the new Camry wiper motor isn't the same as the MR2 motor - just splice the plug from your old wiper motor onto the Camry plug.
I pulled the correct wires from the MR2 and Camry wiring diagrams and it works perfectly.

Here are the connections :
[ You might want to google how Toyota numbers their female connectors ]

Pin 1 : MR2 (BLUE/BLACK) to Pin 3 Camry (BLUE/ORANGE)
Pin 2 : MR2 (BLUE/RED) to Pin 5 Camry (BLUE/BLACK)
Pin 3 : MR2 (BLUE/WHITE) to Pin 1 Camry (BLUE/YELLOW)
Pin 4 : MR2 (BLUE) to Pin 2 Camry (Blue)

MR2 (Black Ground) to Camry (White/Black) needs to be chassis-grounded.

The ground on the Camry doesn't ground to the chassis like on our MR2's so just splice that (White/Black) ground to the MR2 ground wire.

The 5 pin female Camry connector part number is 90980-11599
I do not know what the internal female terminal part numbers are.
I suggest contacting your local Toyota dealership.
Font Rectangle Parallel Gas Diagram

You can purchase a brand new 5 pin Sumitomo connector (with female terminals) at :

Home » Shop » Wideband O2 » O2 Connectors » 5 Way Connector Plug Kit for NTK AFRM (harness side)
The big black numbers in the photo are female pin numbers. If you have really good eyesight, you will be able to make out the wire colors.

Below are the Camry and MR2 motors... you can see the Camry shaft is larger than the MR2 shaft:
Light Bicycle part Camera accessory Auto part Metal

Below are the differences between an MR2 wiper arm and the Altima Arm that Dracon used :
Wood Circuit component Font Circle Electronic device

And this is the little plastic bushing that Dracon found at Autozone.. if anyone can find the part number, please chime in. Since it fits an Altima, maybe a Nissan arts person can help out... I dunno :
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring Varnish

Attachments

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
WOW, thanks for saving those pics from years ago.
I hate that there's so many great threads on here that arent so great anymore because of photobucket or something, images gone.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts