MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time/second time at the track... edited

Yesterday I went to Sacramento raceway and I did a best of 14.3 @99.26. My mods are 14psi, apexi n1, act 6 puck w/ hd pp, apexi intake, greddy ic and stock cat primary cat still in place.

I have only launched on my new clutch a few times b4 the track so I haven't been able to get used to it. My friends said that most of my power goes to one side, I guess that normal since I don't have lsd. I have falken ziex 512 on 93 wheels and spin thru first. I ran my best of 14.3 when I babied the launch and the other runs I just spun thru first badly. Hope you all can give me some advice. Unfortunately yesterday it was Sac's opening day and only got 4 runs in due to packed line up and many oil mishaps.
Thank you,
Charles

Btw I was on the right lane on all my runs but one and they called my car a green corolla lol and the car next to me was a camaro ss.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Congrats on getting out there and doing it!
Not a bad time for your mods. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
I'm no drag racer (yet), but from my personal experiences, my suggestion is this: Get new tires!

Falken Ziex are horrible for traction! I've had them in stock 15" sizes and 16s on my 93 and driven on them in a mk1 na.. They're just awful tires for hard driving.. for the price, street driving, wear rating and all weather, they're absolutely stellar! I'll bet a grippier high-po Summer tire will help you out there.. even if it's just something cheap like Yokohama ES100s (which also suck for track driving.. decent grip, but they heat up fast.. you might be okay at the drags). You might look into the new Azenis, too..

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ iirc, scott barton ran es100's on his 12 sec run hitting like a 1.8/1.9 60' on stock 93's. I know someone else posted in the drag forum running these and hit the same 60's as well, so i'd say they're pretty decent for drags and street tire.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You did very well, I must say. Judging by the trap speed, you can hit mid 13s with your current setup. Just relax and slip that clutch.

If you are on the ct26, do not shift at redline. It is better to shift at ~6000 rpm (in 3rd and fourth) due to the amount of torque and the restrictive design of the exhaust housing of the ct26.

HTH,
Doug

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
keep practicing man. if you're willing to come out, and my car is not giving me a headache i'll be at infineon raceway on march 15. and i run the same tires, with the ct26 (i got a td06 now) basic bolt-ons (stock ic on a hot day) and ~13.5psi, i could hit low/mid 1.9's sixty foot times.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Conor said:
I'm no drag racer (yet), but from my personal experiences, my suggestion is this: Get new tires!

Falken Ziex are horrible for traction! I've had them in stock 15" sizes and 16s on my 93 and driven on them in a mk1 na.. They're just awful tires for hard driving.. for the price, street driving, wear rating and all weather, they're absolutely stellar! I'll bet a grippier high-po Summer tire will help you out there.. even if it's just something cheap like Yokohama ES100s (which also suck for track driving.. decent grip, but they heat up fast.. you might be okay at the drags). You might look into the new Azenis, too..
i cut 1.8-1.9's with my FZ 512's and they ar 205/40/17's(almost no sidewall). it is all in how you launch, i ran a 13.63 @ 98.97mph with a 1.94 60' with my 88sc on the FZ's.

nice job turbro, keep up the good work. you'll find it gets easier the more you get out there and get to know your car better, i have alot of track time with my mr2. i wish i felt as comfortable in my '90 mitsubishi gsx as i do in my mr2, if i did i'd would easily be low 12's with it. one reason i'm so comfortable in my mr2 is because it WAS my daily driver, til i popped the motor. now i either drive my gsx or my wife's 88sc a/t.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
TURBRO said:
My second visit at Sac Raceway and now 13.83 is my best with the same mods as above. Thanks LiLFRRI for helpin me out today :thumbup
didn't i say you could hit 13.8's? yea i did. :smile: and you're welcome.

oh yea, for everyone else looking at this i was car #5418, you can see what time i ran against charles on the timeslip in the top left of the pic above. :evillaugh and i bogged a little on that launch.

·
Registered
449 Posts
so what did you change on your second trip?? how did you drive differently?

i have somewhat comparable set up as you (mbc @15psi, spec 6 puck clutch, yoko 225/15 street tires, a cone air filter, and supposudly my car has a modified throttle body and adj. fpr) and ran very similar times to you on my first time out in my deuce last sunday. i went 14.32 @ 100.2 mph with a 2.18 60'.
so is all you did change your launch?
i left the line at 3K with clutch slip and no spin through first gear. also as was noted earlier in this thread, i shifted at redline and will next time try shifting at 6K in 3nd and 4th since my ct26 is stock.

if you or anyone else out there has some advice for me to get into the 13's with my current set up i'd appreciate it. i hope to get out there this weekend and try try try again, but it looks like its supposed to rain here in indiana.

sorry to hi jack btw
:)

cya
brad

ps, nice times!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
88mr2sc_1 said:
i cut 1.8-1.9's with my FZ 512's and they ar 205/40/17's(almost no sidewall). it is all in how you launch, i ran a 13.63 @ 98.97mph with a 1.94 60' with my 88sc on the FZ's.
thats cause your car is also much lighter. many ppl have lots of problems launching on falken ziex's. a more suitable set of rear tires will help.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Third Time Dragging the Two
I'm hooked and went out again this 26th and did a best of 13.82 which is just about the same as above, but I turned up my boost to 15-16psi. I was disapointed with this time, but happy at the same time b/c I managed to get a better 13.82 with a crappy 2.0 60ft, but with a 100.6 trap. Where as my 13.8 slips shown above were done wit 14psi of boost and hit 1.9 60ft and 98mph trap speeds= 13.83. I am still running the same tiress and still no down pipe (stock primary cat in place). I'm hoping to get a 13.6 on this setup one of these days.

·
Registered
345 Posts
congrats bro.. i'll be heading tomorro (saturday) with my friend with his M3. I'mma switch and take off my 17's and try my stock 14's with all season junk tires... hopefully the weight will help out my time..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts