MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone
names harris evans just finished a widebody turbo integra and have moved onto a new project. Im looking to make 275-300hp widebody with a few custom parts here and there. Ive been searching on the site to find the best set up for me. This will be my fun car driver aka on the weekends. I work at a place called valenceusa which makes carbon fiber parts for ferraris and ducatis and other crazy projects. The website is http://www.valenceusa.com/ . You can im me at forevera112 or email at [email protected] if you wanna chat about anything maybe i can help with some of your carbon making questions. And if you need any parts for your ferraris or ducatis let me know!

My one question so far is about the intercooler setups. Ive been around porsches for a long time (dads a nut and we also rent out part of our shop to a porsche gt3 mech. who works for flying lizard) and have seen how most of his turbo intercooler setups are topmounted. I understand the room restraint but has anyone ever used a porsche style intercooler

pics here : http://www.kokeln.com/products/911turbo_7689/intercooler.shtml

I know they porsche ones cover most of the engine i guess that would be the largest problem. I see my buddy take them off all the time to work on the race cars. Also Ive been trying to read as much as i can but if anyone has any ideas on a soild setup for around 275 i would love to here them. Thanks for your help!
harris

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
cool stuff. Welcome to the board.

A lot of people have been experimenting with a "trunk mount" ic set up. Cutting out the bottom of the trunk and mounting an a/a ic to receive air from the bottom of the car. If I'm not mistaken there are several very high quality stock ic replacements that are more than capable of handling the power you're looking for: greddy and a few others, if you do a search there was recently a pretty big thread on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea ive done some pretty serious searching but in my attempts at a widebody i will be covering the holes in the side where the stock intercooler opening is. I saw all the trunk mods and those are pretty insian. I like it but im not sure if im down for cutting out my foor panel in my trunk.. Thats what i might come to but i havnt decided yet. Im staying away fromt the whole water cooled intercooler thing . Good setups just not for me. I was just looking for a top mount. I have always found the less piping distance the better .

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
welcome to the site
make sure you hit up the local forum for your area so you can get up with other two owners
and def read all the stickies at the top of all the pages, they are very very helpful

garrett

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
People have experimented with top mount IC's just has not been a common thing for some reason. I think most people are afraid of physics. Hot air rises, and putting the intercooler almost on top of the engine isnt the best place, nor does it get much air flow. How much are those Porsche IC's by the way. They look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
^^ i also believe that people are scared of heatsink. i mean, being stuck in grid lock traffic with the sun beating down on the engine bonnet will suck for the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
forevera said:
yea ive done some pretty serious searching but in my attempts at a widebody i will be covering the holes in the side where the stock intercooler opening is. I saw all the trunk mods and those are pretty insian. I like it but im not sure if im down for cutting out my foor panel in my trunk.. Thats what i might come to but i havnt decided yet. Im staying away fromt the whole water cooled intercooler thing . Good setups just not for me. I was just looking for a top mount. I have always found the less piping distance the better .
Welcome!!

...definitely look at the power primer.

You'll find there's lots of factors to consider - on an MR2 the natural airflow is in through the side vents and *up* throught the top vents. If you're looking to reverse the air flow for a top mount intercooler, it may be difficult - especially at high speeds, there is a low pressure area over the engine lid. If you dont intend to change the airflow, you may need the side vents - why not find a wide body kit that makes the side vents more effective?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the sidevents just break up the lines for me. But the usefullyness deffently comes first vs. the looks. The top mout intercoolers do play a major factor with heat sink and i asked my porsche buddy today what he thought. he laughed for a minute and said that the porsche people should go with another design but they are to stubborn. He says there are a lot of problems with the top mouts and that they are not very proficent. He acaully told me of a 911 that put a front mount and just ran pipes .. but i would have a feeling there would be hella lag. I think im going to go with the truck mount . I just have to figure out which turbo i want to go with now. haha first of all i have to find a shell! so if anyone around va has a cheap shell no motor no interior im very intrested. I will also post this in the wanted section. thanks for the welcome

and porsche top mounts are about 1700 my buddy just had an extra one i was thinking about using. Just wanted to see if anyone else had

1 - 9 of 9 Posts