MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a lightweight oxy/acet torch and some supplies recently from TM Technolgies about a month ago.

TM Technologies

I have been experimenting with welding aluminum in my spare time and decided to build a vacuum bleed tank for brake jobs. It is very difficult to get the technique right as there are so many variables. It is a fluxed process that requires just the right flame in order to weld fast before oxidation sets in, but not too fast as to blow holes as I did in several places. In any case the tank was sealed on the first try.

The base metal was some scrap and I believe it is 3/32" 3003 and the filler is 1/16" 4043 tig rod. Check it out...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the complement!

I used up a 40-cubic foot tank of oxygen just on coupons before I felt I had enough technique to be able to come close to beginning a project. I know that welding aluminum is quite difficult in most processes, but keeping it clean is more then half of the welding with OAW. Tack it... clean it... weld an edge... clean it some more... and so on.

To get a solid fusion weld without inclusions is quite interesting. For me it was all about keeping the surface free of oxidation, moving fast with the torch, and using plenty of flux.

For now it is a lot of fun but somewhat tedious and I know it will require lots and lots of practice to get proficient.

Eric

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I have not applied pressure but it does hold a vacuum very well. I used a hand pump and the gauge holds steady. I'll probably give it a shot here soon when I change the pads out on my Subaru.

Eric

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Wleding with a torch itself is tough. This is what Jesse James said. If you can weld with a torch then you can weld with anything.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hmm, is it really that hard to weld with oxy/acet?

Thats the first thing I was taught to weld on, sure its a pain in the ass the first couple of times, but you get the hang of it easy...I actually prefer it to arc welding.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried aluminum with oxy/acetylene? The flame requires careful heat control as it is not as precise as say a TIG torch. The plasma from the TIG is much hotter and can melt the aluminum minimizing the heat affected zone.

When using a flame the use of flux helps, but keeping inclusions out of the weld zone is where the practice pays off. In my opinion aluminum is much more difficult than steel as it does not transition states the same way.

I have not yet tried arc welding, just TIG, MIG, and oxy/acetylene.

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts