MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys !

I just got a stock 1992 MR2 NA with 156'000 km and I m super happy !

Now I m wondering what are the best first mods that can increase the longevity of the cars nor his performance and that are not too hard to install?

Thanks !

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Seat time.

Brakes - decent pads, new rotors, stainless lines
Suspension - new struts (even if not great, if your current are worn out then you'll notice a difference) and any worn bushings etc

Start there. It's not too hard to do those things, but not cheap, either.
I think my EBC Greens were like 70 bucks for the fronts, I used some cheaper rear pads at 30ish. New rotors on front were about 40 a pop, so 80 total. Lines will be about a hundred bucks. So brakes would be 280 + some brake fluid. Lets call it 300.

Suspension. Cheap struts at 50 a pop or something, or go nice and get Koni for about 200 each. Various bits here and there will add up, like dust boots, top hats etc. You'll end up five or six hundred in no time...and that's not using Koni or Bilstein. But worth it.

Happy motoring.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
399 Posts
While I cannot say it's "easy" IMHO for longevity it would be the following:

-New Struts (KYB GR-2s are cheap and good, or go adjustable KYB / Koni ) & boots
-Suspension Bushings (urethane)
-Steer Tie Rod
-New Ball Joints
-Fluids - Simple thing to do for longevity...change out to good fluids!
Brakes - DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 synth fluids (should be done every 2-3years)
Tranny - Redline MT-90 on transmission,
Engine - Synth oil

Then if you REALLY get into it, replace all the seals everywhere on the engine during the next timing belt change...

Reactions: Olowrin

·
Registered
282 Posts
Brakes, tires, suspension (this includes all ball joints and strut mounts too)

before any of that; maintenance!! Tune up, plugs, cap/rotor, filters and fluids (includes brake and clutch slave)

I have about 60k mi on KYB GR2s and 93+ springs. The ride is great but the damping is lack luster on quick transitions- however for the street, it's a very compliant and comfy combo. I can generate enough compression on the track that the front tires will grab the fender liners, so depending on what you really want from your car, this may be a less than ideal combo to spend money on

The 93+ brakes with turbo rear rotors and caliper mounts are a great upgrade as well, but the price of those is skyrocketing lately

·
Registered
158 Posts
Exhaust and intake are easy and will make the car more fun and visceral. It makes the car feel faster even if it's not much in reality. I was super bored when I got my stock NA but just those things brought it just over the edge into fun for me. Depends if you like that I guess. You should be able to do even a tubular manifold and exhaust in a day. Its all pretty easy to get to.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I'd start with basic maintenance on car first including decent tyres. All fluids (engine, coolant, trans, brake, clutch) and filters (air ,fuel, oil) plus plugs, rotor & cap should be replaced. Do research on your best tyre choice then find stagerred wheels to match (not other way around). Performance tyres are hard to get in certain sizes (14-15") so do some research and get the best you can which may not be the most expensive. Good starting point is size 205/45/17 & 225/40/17.

These mods will gain you the most NA performance and longevity and after completion will point you in the right direction safely to carry on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the answers !

I will make some researchs from what you all said and come back to the forum if I have others questions, you seem all very friendly and helpful :)

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
What engine did you get in your NA cars over there? Do you/can you post a photo of the engine bay?
I'd say that if it's like the 5FSE (or is it SFE....whatever), I wouldnt bother with intake an exhaust unless it's purely for making noise, it wont make much of a real difference. You'll drop a grand on three items and pick up 5hp or something

·
Super Moderator
3,383 Posts
What engine did you get in your NA cars over there? Do you/can you post a photo of the engine bay?
I'd say that if it's like the 5FSE (or is it SFE....whatever), I wouldnt bother with intake an exhaust unless it's purely for making noise, it wont make much of a real difference. You'll drop a grand on three items and pick up 5hp or something
Europe got the 3SGE like Japan but had a few differences. 2.0 litre. The UK however also got the 3SFE in one of the early models which is a 2.0litre but has the F head like the 5SFE. Less power but it still got the bakes the 91 Turbo got unlike the 5S that got single pot fronts.

You are sort of right with mods on these engines too. You won't get much more power if any by doing mods to the exhaust and intake, more just louder sounds.

Things you might notice different is the single bar engine bay brace and if you look really close near the throttle body is a cold start injector. Something Japan never got.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts