MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
I aint afraid of no boost
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been very busy with customer cars, but I took a little time to do some ceramic coating on my exhaust components.

The coating was sourced from www.techlinecoatings.com . It is the "TurboX" coating, specifically designed for 2000+ degree exhaust gas temperatures (not that I will see that high of an EGT on my car, but it is sufficient for my purposes).

Here's what I did:

1) Disassemble turbo, wastegate, exhaust, dump tube and associated equipment that sees exhaust duty.

2) Prepare parts for bead blasting by taping up surfaces that either need to be completely flat (eg: wastegate mating surfaces), or can possibly catch the individual beads (eg: flex sections).

3) Bead blast individual parts with 120 grit aluminum oxide blasting material.

4) Clean parts with acetone based liquid.

5) Stir and shake up coating. Pour into air spray paint gun, and make short passes until each part is uniformly black.

6) Bake in oven to partially cure, install on car and drive the car to completely cure.

Here are the pics:

Bead blasted and cleaned:

Bead blasted and cleaned Greddy T78 header:

Freshly coated

I will post better pics after I pre-cure the stuff in the oven.

·
Registered
449 Posts
can't wait to see the final. Bryan always does an awesome job. :-D

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
nice job bryan! i've seen several pictures of your exhaust, but never on your car....hurry up already!

·
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kappa said:
can't wait to see the final. Bryan always does an awesome job. :-D
I'm pretty proud of my PIMP tool wall, myself. Thanks!

Oh, you meant the coatings..................;)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
:thumbup Looks sweet man! Sorry I missed the big 30 party...How did it turn out for ya??? Get that thing together already....lol....git r dun....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
on the one hand it's glad to see you're staying busy. on the other hand, it sucks to see you have to wait to so long. however, you know what they say about slow-n-steady, eh?

nice!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
what size are those pipes? and where did you find that large flex part?!.. have been looking all over the net without finding anything larger than 3".. :/

·
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
NoddE said:
what size are those pipes? and where did you find that large flex part?!.. have been looking all over the net without finding anything larger than 3".. :/
The downpipe is 4" and the wastegate dump tube is 2.5". KO Racing built the exhaust (and sourced the 4" flex pipe) to my specs together with me. I flew out to Portland with my manifold, wastegate, and turbo. Kris then built the exhaust just how I wanted, carefully measuring clearances by using Loki (his 320rwhp daily driver) and a spare engine to fabricate everything up on. It all goes together like this:

·
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
MAN THAT IS EXTREMELY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That tool wall is really fricking pretty.

Oh btw, nice painting.

GET SOME MORE PICS !!!
of that tool wall i mean!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts